What's good about Halo3?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by icecone, Oct 6, 2007.

1. icecone macrumors regular

The graphics are just last-generation, much worse than Gears
    With other games like the orange box, unreal tournament 3, (and older shooters like rainbow 6, graw 2 ...etc)
    why can it sell so well?
    (I've read plenty of reviews and still don't understand)

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

you have obviously never played online with it.

its cocaine.

3. icecone thread starter macrumors regular

You're right, but what's so good about halo 3 online?

4. zeedee-h macrumors member

zeedee-h

Its the gameplay, its just great much better than gow i recon.. also the storyline.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't see the big deal either (and before the MS crew berate me - I don't like the new Zelda DS game much either :p ).

I've tried playing through it on Co-op campaign but it's just uneventful and monotonous. Single player campaign is even worse. Last shot for me is a 4 player co-op when my friends RRoD 360 is fixed. The story just became more a drama between various characters set in the backdrop of the original story.

Not keen on the online side of things either. Maybe I just don't get it, but how do you even choose a specific map? Even with those 400k people online it still takes a good few minutes to find a game. Wish they had a lobby system like PC games.

But local multiplayer? It's quite fun. Time will tell if it shifts our Halo 1 lan parties to Halo 3. Still no map to rival Sidewinder (unless I just haven't seen it yet, what with the lack of choice with online maps).

What's good about it? The music. It's quite spectacular.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I am a big Halo fan; I just like the style and presentation Bungie does in their games. The story telling is great, even is the story is a bit lacking. I love their art direction and styling, colors are vibriant but not cartoony. I say just go try it at someones house and see what you think. I'm not saying it is the best game ever, but it obviously does something good if so many people like it. Just like everyone, there are games I like and don't like; I don't understand why people love Zelda, looks like the exact same game everytime. My girlfriend has the new one for Wii and I watched her play, I got bored very quickly but there are those who love that.

Multiplayer is just one of those things you either like or don't. If you grew up playing lots of Halo 1 multiplayer with friends, either Halo 2 or 3 online will be a great extension of that experience. Unlike Jimmi, I like the matchmaking and not picking the exact map and game type each time. I like leaving it up to the system and enjoy the challenge each time with something different.

Here is my opinion; If you are more a single player style gaming, just like playing a game by yourself, then I might not suggest Halo 3. While there is a single player campaign, it is pretty short and does have some replay ability, but not enough to make it last months. Halo 3 really shines when you add in the multiplayer. You can do co-op campaign and up the difficulty to give a challenge, or go online and in multiplayer. You can also share screen shots or videos and such. If you've never played a Halo, go find someone with Halo 1 and play the campaign. That is top quality level design and presentation.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Halo multiplayer is fantastic but to me it feels a little too much like Halo 2 and not enough like a new game for me. Still provides some great fun and it's friend integration is awesome. The forge is ****ing so cool. Amazing addition, as is the replay function.

I found the single-player/co-op underwhelming and inconsistant. Great lighting effects and some sweet textures but overall the world feels very.... empty (a few levels feel and look great, however). These big huge spaces and big huge buildings that just feel so bland. Some character models, especially those of the humans, look like upconverted xbox graphics (have you seen their faces?!)

Some guns are very unbalanced (ie. the plasma rifle is way too strong whereas the assault rifle is way too under-powered) although I imagine this is due to trying to keep things level for multi-player.

The level design, for the most part, is average at best. There is backtracking (again!) but it is reduced compared to Halo/2 BUT they reduced the backtracking by... making the 'dungeon' parts, like when you need to go into a building to shut something down, only a few minutes long so you only need to run back a few minutes to get out. One part has you running a good 5-7 minutes to get back to the point you started from with no enemies, not talking, nothing (since the vehicles were destroyed when I played) weak sauce.

I found the story just a hodge-podge since they went for a much more ambitious story in Halo 2 but then found they had to wrap up this big story in ONE game so they just hacked and slashed it around a bit to make it fit together.

Plus, the last level... :mad:

Other than that? It's great :)

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

You clearly didn't own any of the last gen systems...

Halo 3 is fun, gameplay is good, the story is great(its an epic story!), online is tons of fun.

You don't have to like it ....thats fine if you don't

9. stagecustom macrumors regular

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

11. Oneness macrumors regular

I don't have Halo 3 (seeing as I don't have an Xbox I won't be getting Halo 3), but I have Halo for my Mac and while the single player portion leaves something to be desired the multiplayer is THE BEST VIDEOGAME EXPERIENCE ON THE MAC TODAY.
    So I would think that for Halo 3 the mutiplayer part would be what's good about it.
    PS. Bungie, PLEASE port Halo 3 to the Mac.:eek:

12. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Halo 3 is a fun game.

Sure the singleplayer sucks (anyone who says otherwise clearly hasn't played enough shooters... or games for that matter) but the multiplayer is jolly good fun.

That being said I don't understand whats the big deal either, wait four days and you'll get a game that is worthy of all the ******* hype these Halo games get.

The Halo games are the most overrated games in the history of videogaming.

13. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I havent played single player but online Halo3 is so addictive, you just want to try to win a few more matches to get those vital EXP points.

I love it.