What's happened to all the MBP update rumors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chickyd, Oct 9, 2009.

  1. chickyd macrumors newbie

    Sep 8, 2009
    I'm (un)patiently holding off buying my first 15" MBP because of all the rumors floating around about updates on the way. The last I read there was talk of reseller supply constraints. I was hoping for an event this Tuesday so I could make my purchase next weekend but it's looking increasingly unlikely. Any thoughts here?
  2. revs macrumors regular

    Jun 2, 2008
    iMacs and Mac Minis next, but not MBP.

    There are rumors of a refreshed white-plastic Mac Book, but not the MacBook Pro.

    The next MBP update will be to Arrandale CPUs and this will likely be early next year (Jan/Feb).
  3. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502a


    Feb 17, 2007
    Given that the Macbook Pro line was last refreshed in June, I don't think we're going to see any significant updates this side of Xmas. The iMac is next in line for an update.

    I guess it all depends on your needs. Quad Core is on the horizon, but who knows when. If you don't need Quad Core, then buy now. USB 3.0 and Light Peak are slotted for next year, FW1600 is not due yet...what else could ya be waiting for? I doubt the chassis will see any upgrade, it's pretty much perfect as it is, can't get much thinner, lighter maybe.
  4. chickyd thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 8, 2009
    I had just thought that if they bump the MBs then they'd need to bump the MBPs to keep them well ahead. I was also thinking if there are rumors of an imac, mac mini refresh, there may be a case for holding off incase they decide to bump the entire mac line onto the new chipset.

    You reckon i'm wasting my time?
  5. heliuscc macrumors member

    Oct 1, 2009
    There may be a speed bump or something...

    If the Macbook gets a boost then I reckon we might see the low end 2.26 13" MBP go and the 2.53 become the base model until the new chips and models come out next year. Otherwise they may be too close in specs. Who knows though.
  6. chickyd thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 8, 2009
    Quad Core is definitely enticing.. i'm gonna want to run Windows 7 in VMware Fusion 3 when it's out.. it's definately the new chip that i'd be interested in most i think. I don't think they'll put in USB 3, and especially not Light Peak until late 2010 and i'm not waiting til then.

    I'm pretty much going to buy in the coming weeks and guess I'm just hopeful i can buy into the beginning of the refresh cycle rather than the middle. I hate feeling like my tech isn't that latest.
  7. L0s7man macrumors 6502

    Feb 26, 2009
    I'd like to see "new" MBA. That is, keep the things the same (without the crappy glass screen), just throw in 4GB of RAM and glass trackpad. Then I'll probably buy one.

    Or it would be nice to see matte 13" MBP.

    17" should be updated to i7. But it's Apple we're talking about, so it probably won't.

    I'm interested to see what the new plastic will be - I need a carry around laptop, so plastic might be a good option.
  8. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    There really hasn't been any rumors because apple in all likelihood is not updating the MBPs anytime soon. The iMac and mini are probably the two computers that are next. While its conceivable that the MBA could see some love, I wonder about the long term viability of the MBA because of its price point and the 13" is nearly the same size as the MBA

Share This Page