Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westhammike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2015
I have updated to Photos on my Mac and lost my iPhoto Events. All my photos are still there but sorted in date order. That is meaningless as I am going through a big exercise to scan my photos and had them beautifully organised in Events order.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
I have updated to Photos on my Mac and lost my iPhoto Events. All my photos are still there but sorted in date order. That is meaningless as I am going through a big exercise to scan my photos and had them beautifully organised in Events order.

Well you need to start over. Apple had to sort of reinvent things as they want you buying cloud storage that you pay for on a monthly basis for your photos. iPhoto would not play well with the cloud plus they wanted to dumb down the app, which they accomplished. Tim says start over.

macomar

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
As noted above, there should be a new folder named "iPhoto Events" in the Albums view. You can also tell Photos to show the sidebar, and the "iPhoto Events" folder can be opened there.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
To reveal your old iPhoto Events..

View > Display Sidebar

Hating Photos app. Ive just dragged iPhoto back into my dock (from apps).

Long live iPhoto.

Last edited:

dcaccount

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
As noted above, there should be a new folder named "iPhoto Events" in the Albums view. You can also tell Photos to show the sidebar, and the "iPhoto Events" folder can be opened there.

I have found iPhoto events in the album view. But how shall I handle them in order to work in a new Photo native way?

With iPhoto I used to work with events and I have plenty of them. What shall I do now?

Thanks for helping, daniele

macomar

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2012
My personal advice is to stick with iPhoto for the time being. I'll re-evaluate when the next version of Photos comes out, though I'm not optimistic about Apple adding back enough digital asset management features to make it useful to me.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I have found iPhoto events in the album view. But how shall I handle them in order to work in a new Photo native way?

With iPhoto I used to work with events and I have plenty of them. What shall I do now?

Thanks for helping, daniele

If you want to continue arranging your pictures in 'events', you have to use albums now. The moments view won't give you any flexibility beyond changing dates. My suggestion is: whenever you import a bunch of pictures, put them into albums immediately. In addition, I suggest creating a smart album with parameters [Album] [is not] [Any] to see all pictures that are currently not within an album, so that you don't miss any.

If you want to do it 'natively' then you have to make sure that all your new pictures are properly timestamped and, if possible, tagged with location data. Photos will arrange your pictures based on date and label them based on location data. Photos recognises events that have taken place over several days, but only if it can make sense of the location data.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
If you want to continue arranging your pictures in 'events', you have to use albums now. The moments view won't give you any flexibility beyond changing dates. My suggestion is: whenever you import a bunch of pictures, put them into albums immediately. In addition, I suggest creating a smart album with parameters [Album] [is not] [Any] to see all pictures that are currently not within an album, so that you don't miss any.

If you want to do it 'natively' then you have to make sure that all your new pictures are properly timestamped and, if possible, tagged with location data. Photos will arrange your pictures based on date and label them based on location data. Photos recognises events that have taken place over several days, but only if it can make sense of the location data.

This sounds like good advice. Thanks.

I waited for a year to perform a clean-up of iPhoto, thinking it would be easier in Photos. Instead, it sounds like I need iPhoto more than ever — i.e., I need to organize, tag, add locations, etc., in iPhoto before even thinking about "upgrading" to Photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.