What's happened to this forum?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ksmith80209, Jun 26, 2012.

1. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Is it just me or has this forum turned into a giant spam-fest. It seems like the entire first page of threads is comprised entirely of developers plugging their own apps — and then responding to their own posts. Can we get some moderators to clean this up a bit? We risk losing all the value this forum has provided in the past if this path continues.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Post your request in Site and Forum Feedback.

3. ksmith80209 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep - I did.

4. Thomas P. macrumors member

Thomas P.

Happens to the successful forums, spamming is an incurable disease on internet!

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's really tough to prevent determined spammers from flooding the front page with garbage...Many are spam-bots with multiple usernames all advertising the same junk....Illegal sports streaming etc. In recent weeks it's been a goldmine for them with soccer and other high profile events taking place.

The best course of action is to report them...This helps the Mods to delete them, but believe me, it's not confined to MR. It's annoying I know, but as posted above, it's a clear indication of a sites' popularity when spammers target in such a determined fashion. There are other less popular sites that remain relatively spam free....But they are also relatively member and topic free also. I expect with the forthcoming Olympic Games in London, we will probably see an increase....Wimbledon tennis is also a prime target as well. Report all you can and they will be taken care of.

6. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I don't mind it so much when it's an obvious app announcement by the developer. What I hate are threads like this, where a developer or shill gets others to waste their time helping him find an app with certain functionality. Later he comes back to say he found the perfect app -- just so happens it just came out in the app store. Funny thing is, the time between first and last post is about the time it takes for an app to get approved.

Regards,
    Tom

7. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

That was a good noon laugh, thanks :D

But yeah, unfortunately there is a lot of spam going on.