whats happening to my display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by legomanx51v, Sep 12, 2009.

1. legomanx51v macrumors newbie

has anyone seen this? ive got strange discoloring on certain parts of the screen. and if i hit/tap the macbook pro from underneath at the back towards the screen it disappears for a while. what can i do?
    Unibody 15" 2008 2.53ghz, 512mb 9600m gt 4bg ram.

EDIT\: i took a screenshot and it looks fine but when i physically took pictures u can see the prob. it seems like lcd connection is weird.

Attached Files:

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Well, it wouldn't be a logic board if the screen shots are good....must be a connector of the LCD of some sort. It reminds me of the bad cord I have on my LCD projector at school. Someone else will know better-

PS- if you don't get a good response this weekend, post this during the week Sunday thru Thursday and you will likely get your answer!:D

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If tapping it can make it disappear it looks to be a loose display cable or panel connection.

4. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I would say get it to apple ASAP to be fixed. i dont know when your warranty expires but seeing as it is a unibody (i see from the pics) and the very first ones came out on 10-14-08, then my deduction tells me that even if you bought it the very first day they came out, you still have about a month of Applecare left.

therefore, unless you have dropped it, or spilled your coors lite on it, then this is a defect (even a loose connection would be fixed under warranty) and they will fix it.

what you should not do is wait around here for 2 weeks hoping someone can give you some direction on how to do a home fix and in the meantime the warranty dies.

think of it this way, even if a loose cable is the most likely answer, no one can know for sure until they are in it. so what if you try to fix it on your own because it seems like an easy fix and you get in there and find something worse and now your warranty is void and you are screwed.

do yourself a favor. APPLE CARE!!!!

5. legomanx51v thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies, i suppose ill have to ring applecare. theres no apple store where i live so ill have to drop it into the apple repair people, and they'll take over a week to get it done.
    i am tempted to open it up a look at it myself but i suppose no point in voiding a warranty thats got another 3months.

6. canuhandlethis8 macrumors member

I've noticed after I upgraded to SL than updated to 10.6.1 my display has also become blury, fuzzy not as sharp as it used too be.

7. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

if you wanted, you could pop off the bottom plate (that does not void your warranty) and take a look at the two connections for the display on the logic board. there is on the left and one on the right of the board. you the ifixit guide for removing the display to identify them.

you could check to see if one of them is loose, if so problem solved. if not, put it back together and send it in. because if the problem is actually in the display assembly, you could seriously muck it up by attempting that.