What's happening with Apple's Akamai servers?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by 50548, Mar 9, 2011.

1. 50548 Guest

I've recently noticed that the download speed for Apple updates is much lower than what I've used to get in the past, which was normally an excelent performance.

As you can see below, this is not a problem related to my connection:

[​IMG]

For instance, when downloading the Java update yesterday and the iTunes update today, I got roughly 20% of my potential bandwidth...is anyone facing the same issue here in Europe or elsewhere?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Check that you're using your ISP's DNS servers. I've seen similar problems where users have changed to a different ISP's DNS for troubleshooting reasons and forgotten to change them back, causing geolocation to return a non-optimal server.

3. 50548 thread starter Guest

This is weird...I've been using Google's DNS servers basically - which are considered as the fastest in my area - does that really affect Apple downloads?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. 50548 thread starter Guest

I reverted back to my ISP's DNS servers and will report back when Apple releases another update - OpenDNS has domain hijacking issues/censorship, so I won't use it.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't know whether it affects Apple or not but I remember reading about it here in NZ where people were being directed to US servers instead of NZ ones. The speed difference between our domestic and international bandwidth is huge.