What's happening with Cydia?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by murdercitydevil, Jan 2, 2012.

1. murdercitydevil, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I just upgraded to 5.0.1 and got untethered with redsn0w. Everything went 100% smooth except now I can barely use Cydia. Everything seems to be updated. No essential upgrades. No changes when forcing a refresh. But 99% of the packages I try to install show nothing in their details (the only thing on the screen are the "install" and "search" back buttons), but if I try to install something like Activator, for instance, it says that it's missing dependencies, or that I don't have the proper firmware version, even though I do. Something tells me this is all related to mobile substrate, but I don' know how to fix it. Even if I install it manually, the packages don't recognize that I have it installed. Anyone have a similar problem?

EDIT: Some packages apparently work...for instance I was able to install biteSMS, which came with MS bundled, even though I already had it installed. Apparently it overwrote it or whatever; fine. Same thing with Browser Changer. It installed MS even though I already had it, overwrote it, whatever. But still, I can't even install Activator, because it says that I need mobile substrate and an ios version higher than 4.0. WTF??

2. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

OK I got everything working. Do a clean restore, people, no matter how smooth Apple makes updates, always do a clean restore. Should have listened to my gut.

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

This is slightly off topic but when will your theme be available and how do I download it?

4. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

If you're talking about Teneo HD, by the end of this week, and it will be on MacThemes

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Would you mind explaining how to install it? I'm new to jailbreaking and I've tried downloading themes from cydia and applied them using winterboard but I wouldn't know how to get it from macthemes and where to put it

6. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

When it's released, it will be posted in the "iOS Releases" subforum of MacThemes. The download link will give you the theme folder, TeneoHD.theme, or whatever I end up calling it. To use the theme you will need to copy TeneoHD.theme to your Themes folder on your phone, located at /private/var/stash/Themes.xxxxx. Once it's there, you open WinterBoard, select it, and respring. If one or more of these things sound like gibberish to you, you may need to do a bit more research about jailbreaking, SSH, and themes.

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Thanks. I'll figure it out :p
    One last question. I hear that themes very often slow down the phone. Is this true? Does it happen with all themes or just badly designed or programmed ones or something like that?

8. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

How do you do "clean" restore while keeping your baseband?

9. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

It doesn't really have anything to do with the way it's designed, the images will either be themed or they won't. If a theme is very large, and covers hundreds and hundreds of images, such as a full UI theme, it will obviously take up more resources because WinterBoard has to do more work. Whether or not this is truly noticeable, I can't say. At the moment, though, WB causes some slowdown regardless, because the current version of WB is bugged and causes weird scrolling lag when swiping between SpringBoard pages (in my experience anyway).

Unfortunately there really isn't an alternative, unless you want to go through every single file you wish to theme on your phone and replace the images manually (or I guess the app DreamBoard accomplishes the same thing as WB, but I have no experience with it). As long as you don't have 50 themes enabled at once and 30 other tweaks running alongside winterboard, though, the slowdown shouldn't be noticeable.

I never said I kept my baseband. By "clean" restore I mean that I restored the phone to 5.0.1 instead of doing a regular update from 5.0 (dumb, I know, I should know better by now to never just "update"). But AFAIK, PwnageTool is able to do this for you and create custom 5.0.1 FW bundles, see here - http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/preserve-iphone-baseband-and-untethered-jailbreak-pwnagetool-5-0-1/

10. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

I guess I am confused on what do you mean by "clean" restore? I understand everything else cept for the clean restoring part. I plan on using redsn0w to create a custom ispw for 5.0.1

11. murdercitydevil thread starter macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Forget the word clean - what I did was click "update" in iTunes, which caused problems with Cydia; what I should have done was click "restore" and wiped all traces of my previous jailbreak. That's what I meant.

12. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Sorry a clean restore? There's the restore button and update button in iTunes under the iPhone info. Are you talking about another type of restore? You mean a restore from the ipsw file without using your previous back up? So essentially a new iPhone right? But what about your address book, mail and apps etc? How do you get them back if it's a clean restore?