Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
OK, curiosity has gotten the best of me.

As Mac updates an OS (say 10.5.1, 10.5.2) Do they change which version is in the Leopard boxes to be 'the most recent release'? Or do you always buy the base version (10.5) and have up do a big update when you finally install?

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Depends how long ago they added the update, how important it is to stability, how long it's been since they updated the install disks at factory, whether they think it's worth it, etc.

So in short, important .x updates will see a new version of the install cd being made after a while, but probably not all of them will. It takes a while to get all of the data onto a new DVD at the factory. The current install DVD has 10.5.1 on it. In a few weeks, it may have 10.5.2 on it, but there's no sure way of knowing. Since 10.5.2 was a pretty large update, I imagine it'll make a new install DVD. Say if 10.5.3 is a fairly minor/small update, then they may not bother making a 10.5.3 install DVD until a big 10.5.4 comes out, and the new install DVDs then will ship with 10.5.4, etc.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
Do you know if the physical boxes indicate what's inside? just took a quick look, and see Amazon lists the product in the box as 10.5.1 (Apple store doesn't indicate anything).

thanks

- J

PDiPietro

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2007
Yeah, it says so on the UPC bar on the bottom of the software box. My launch day disc box says 10.5.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.