Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maketheone

Suspended
Original poster
May 24, 2016
Recently I have learnt some photography lessons and I'm interested in it now. I have a khaki DSLR shoulder camera bag. While so far I just have a camera for beginners.
Do you have a camera bag? What's in it?
I think nobody has less gears than mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bhtwo

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
A camera!

Just kidding, I have a Canon 60D with various lenses. I use mainly lowepro bags

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
Here is mine:

S8003974.jpg

Reactions: v0lume4 and daflake

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Recently I have learnt some photography lessons and I'm interested in it now. I have a khaki DSLR shoulder camera bag. While so far I just have a camera for beginners.
Do you have a camera bag? What's in it?
I think nobody has less gears than mine.

Ha... you don't need a ton of gear to take great photos... just a camera.

Reactions: v0lume4 and elf69

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Just my pancake 50mm (my other primary lens, the Canon 18-135mm kit lens is already on my camera), an intervalometer, battery charger, and an extra battery. That's it! I have to carry my tripod (GorillaPod) separately. I also will keep my camera around my neck, out of the bag, unless traveling extensively. I don't have the disposable income to buy more lenses to stuff my camera bag with. :D

Granted, even if I had the money, there really only one lens that I'd spend money on (https://www.amazon.com/Canon-24-70m...F8&qid=1498531365&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+24-70). Otherwise I'm quite content with my kit lens for city photography and my 50mm for portraits.

Funny thing -- I try and avoid carrying my camera bag with me when possible. I'll put my gear in the bag for safekeeping, throw the bag in my car, and then when I arrive at my destination, I'll fit as much as I can in my pants pockets and leave the bag in the car. :p
[doublepost=1498531582][/doublepost]
Here is mine:

S8003974.jpg
That camera in the middle! What is it? A classic Canon? Pentax?

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Canon! how dare you sir!
Lol it's a Pentax ME 35mm.
My first SLR but not used now.

I only use pentax bodies
My apologies! :p

Ahhh, a 35mm film camera. What a beauty. I bet you have some memories with that camera. :)

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I think my best shot so far was taken with my ME.

I'm an armature and do not know my setting well yet.
My friends say my photos are good but most are on auto as not very good.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Canon! how dare you sir!
Lol it's a Pentax ME 35mm.
My first SLR but not used now.

I only use pentax bodies

I think my best shot so far was taken with my ME.

I'm an armature and do not know my setting well yet.
My friends say my photos are good but most are on auto as not very good.

My first SLR camera was a lovely little Pentax ME Super - a gorgeous and very portable and reliable camera. Loved it.

Reactions: oblomow

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
I would have loved a super but as this ME was free who am I to say no lol.

I stuck with pentax for digital as my old film lenses fit the digi bodies saves me few quid buying my lenses.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I would have loved a super but as this ME was free who am I to say no lol.

I stuck with pentax for digital as my old film lenses fit the digi bodies saves me few quid buying my lenses.

I always liked Pentax, they made some terrific cameras; my second SLR was the Pentax P30T.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
My standard package: Canon 20D with attached battery grip, 24-70 2.8 (first gen), 70-200 2.8 IS (first gen), 420ex speedlite, 12 AA batteries, 4 2GB CF card, 4 batteries, a rocket blower, a polarizing filter.

I switch out lenses depending upon what I plan on shooting. I've got some lense I will only add if I KNOW I'll use: Sigma 12-24 f4-5.6, Sigma 50-500 (first gen Bigma), 50 f1.8 mk II (the plastic fantastic).

If I travel light, it'll be just the 20D and 24-105 f4 IS.

Yarp. My gear is old. I'm looking to get as soon to be released 6D mk II when my 20D gives up the ghost (over 120,000 clicks already, so it's living on borrowed time.)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Depends on which bag and what I'm doing that day :)

If I'm going light, I might just sling a camera around my neck/over my shoulder and go on with it. If I'm shooting 35mm, I will probably just toss a 50mm 1.4 on it then stuff a few rolls of film in my pocket. If I'm shooting color, I stick an 81A filter(or equivalent) on the lens and a polarizer in my pocket, while if I'm shooting B&W I'll usually keep a Y2 on it and then have orange and red in a filter wallet in my pocket. If I'm shooting medium format, it will be a 75mm 3.5 Rolleiflex around my neck, and again a few rolls in my pocket and either an 81A or Y2 on the camera and possibly a few filters in my pocket. With a DSLR, I'll grab a mid-range zoom and have the polarizer in my pocket. In an even more extreme case, it might just be my Leica IIIa with a 50mm collapsible Elmar, a Y2, and a spare roll or two of Tri-X.

For getting a bit more serious, I'll often carry a small bag with either a DSLR or 35mm film body(or possibly both) along with a couple of nice primes. Sometimes I'll forgo the DSLR and carry two 35mm bodies-one for color and one for B&W. I'll carry media for a DSLR and plenty of film for a film SLR. I carry a better selection of filters(I usually add in the medium yellow, light orange, and green plus filters fluorescent and tungsten correction filters). To minimize the amount of stuff I'm hauling, I'll usually generally pack either 72mm filters or otherwise the largest size I need and then step rings to use those on any other lens. I'll carry a strobe if I anticipate a need for it. For medium format "light" it will generally be a small SLR like my Bronica SQ-a, a couple of film backs(usually both color and B&W), then a standard(80mm) and wide angle(40 or 50mm) and of course plenty of film. I carry the same amount of filters. If I feel like breaking my back, I'll take a Mamiya RB-67 and a maximum of two lenses(those things are heavy).

"Full blown" for small format always includes at least one DSLR and two or possibly more 35mm bodies. I consider a two a minimum-one for transparencies and one for B&W, and possibly additional bodies for different emulsions or if I want to throw in color negative. Primes will depend on expectations, but always an 18 or 20mm lens, a 50mm, usually a less extreme wide angle, and probably a prime on the long end. I'll also often carry a standard zoom and possibly a tele zoom. Of course, I'd carry a full complement of supporting equipment. Often that's spread over two bags, and usually organized in such a way that I can work out of one.

Depending on what I want to do and how much I want to haul, I might even take two medium format systems with me. If I do haul two, it will be a Bronica S2 and a Mamiya RB67-I choose those because they're the most complete systems I have. If I anticipate more opportunities for 6x7, it's only the Mamiya while I'd save a bunch of weight and only haul a 6x6 system if that was the the largest I anticipated. If weight is a concern, I again fall back to the plasticy SQ-a although I have a much less complete system for it.

Large format is a whole different ball game, and usually I work out of my car as much as possible. Depending on anticipated need and time gone, I'll either load up a bunch of film holders ahead of time, or I will carry fewer film holders and a changing bag(along with appropriate boxes for the exposed film). I often don't even carry a bag-I put the desired lens on the camera, carry it in one hand, a tripod in the other, a meter and loupe around my neck, and film holders in my pocket(s).

BTW, if you get very deep into photography it's virtually guaranteed that you will have a closet full of bags. I gravitate toward LowePro and have several from them. Bags are essentially the only major pieces of non-expendable photo equipment where I buy new whenever possible. I have picked up a few discontinued LowePro models used when I couldn't find old stock. Different sizes and styles of bags serve different purposes. Probably my most used is a Nova 4 AW, which appears to have been discontinued(I bought mine new).

Last edited:

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
After @needfx 's post earlier today, I thought I'd add to the mix with my bags of gear too.

My Vanguard shoulder bag, which gets the most use, has my Canon 6D and 24-105mm f/4 L mounted. It also holds my remote trigger/long-exposure timer/intervalometer, a microfibre cleaning rag, white/grey/black cards, colorchecker card, plus my 10 and 16 stop ND filters.
_1100115-XL.jpg

My backpack has the 24mm tilt-shift (in the pouch), 90mm macro, 50mm and 85mm lenses as well as a mobile phone holder that attaches to my tripod in the top section. Oh, it also has an allen-key for tightening arca-swiss camera mounting plates and spikes to go in the feet of my tripod.
_1100118-XL.jpg

In the bottom section, theres my old LunaSix Light Meter, with spot metering attachment, a circular polariser, macro rails, a spirit level that mounts on the hot-shoe, a lens cleaning pen, plenty of wet and dry cleaning cloths, some cables and a really comfy handgrip that I barely use.
_1100119-XL.jpg

For birding there's the Sigma 120-400mm lens and the monopod.
_1100117-XL.jpg

I also have a shoulder bag with two flashes, a 10 degree snoot, some small soft boxes, remote triggers, etc... But I couldn't be stuffed grabbing a shot of it, as I forgot about it!

--------------------

And then for my Happy Snappers venture, there's another three backpacks of kit!

The first has all the chargers and spare batteries for the various cameras I have gathered together.
_MG_8996-XL.jpg

The next has three Panasonic-Lumix micro-four-thirds cameras, two DMC-GF3's and a DMC-G1, with three 14-42mm lenses, and a cool Fujian 35mm for them. It also has a Pentax K-10D with its 18-55mm lens. Soon it will house the last camera and lens for it, when that arrives. This backpack also fits my 13" laptop, so I can get the participants to choose their best images from each session immediately afterwards.
_MG_8992-XL.jpg

In the bottom of the third backpack is a Canon 550D, a Sony a100 and a Pentax K-20D.
_MG_8995-XL.jpg

Up top of this backpack are all the lenses for these cameras, including telephoto's, wide-angle variables and macro lenses.
_MG_8993-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: elf69 and Hughmac

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
nice set of gear.

very nice range there.
Thanks, I'm yet to get telephoto and macro lenses for the micro-four-thirds cameras, but do have a set of three auto-focus macro extension tubes coming for the 14-42mm lenses, as cheapy macro lenses for the participants to play with!

Reactions: elf69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.