What's inside YOUR keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by primate45, Feb 7, 2008.

1. primate45 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I spilled a tiny bit of soda on my MacBook keyboard the other day (as Im sure many of you have) and it made the tab, caps lock, shift, and tilde keys stick a little bit when I pressed them down (they pop up fine, just give a little resistance when I push on them). Anyway, I opened up the keyboard and cleaned, and all was well. However I noticed something odd: underneath the scissor mechanism, there is two visible layers of metal. One the top layer was fine, however the lower layer was all sticky and had tons of hair and dust stuck to it. I opened up keys on the other side of the keyboard (home, ?, and k) and found the same thing. I opened up X and found that this was NOT the case.
    So my question is: do all of your keys have this sticky stuff as well (as in: is it meant to be there, like some sort of insulating gel) or is this just dirt and gunk that it's safe for me to scrape off?

Thanks!!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the keys have factory grease under them between the bracket and the slots so make sure you dont clean that out otherwise theyll get sticky.