What's is difference is jailbroken with Spirit before?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TitanTiger, Sep 18, 2010.

1. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

I've seen some instructions on jailbreaking a phone, whether it's with PwnageTool or something else and sometimes they reference that you should only use the JB if you haven't previously jailbroken with Spirit or JailbreakMe.com.

What it it about jailbreaking with Spirit that would cause you to not be able to use a certain other tool? And why wouldn't a full restore essentially bring you back to square one and be able to use any jailbreak and unlock going forward?

2. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Devices that have been jailbroken with Spirit can not be unlocked.

And yes, of course you can restore and jailbreak using another method.

3. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

That can't be right, because I previously had this phone (3G) jailbroken with Spirit and unlocked using ultrasn0w.

4. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I really don't know what it is you're asking, but the spirit jailbreak uses higher level ('userland', which I believe means the code is run as a normal user) exploit and the pwnage tool uses bootrom exploits (which are lower level and harder to find, but also harder for Apple to patch). Userland exploits can't survive a software update, but bootrom exploits generally can.

5. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry. I was thinking back on a 2G iPhone I tried to unlock after using Spirit. Ultrasn0w doesn't work on 2G.

6. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

I've just noticed on more than one occasion, instructions for a jailbreak that mention that you shouldn't use it if you've previously jb'd using Spirit or JailbreakMe.com. I was just trying to figure out why that would matter and if restoring the iPhone would render that issue null and void or if Spirit is doing something to the phone that makes future jailbreaks problematic.

For instance, this:

And this isn't the first time I've seen wording to that same effect. Just the latest.

7. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

You cannot run one jailbreak over top of an existing jailbreak. Is that what you are asking ?

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

To make use of Pwnage tool you will see instructions that you must be already jailbroken but not with Spirit. This is because Spirit and Jailbreakme.com are userland jailbreaks you need to have a low level or boot level jailbreak. The boot level jailbreak that was available on the old boot rom 3gs has long since been patched by Apple with new hardware.

While there is very little published about the new jailbreak for FW 4.1 it is believed to be a low level exploit which should make it possible to upgrade the firmware without upgrading the baseband. The boot rom exploits cannot be patched by apple without shipping new hardware. Userland jailbreaks can easily be patched by apple with new Firmware.