What's it worth?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ode2joy, Jan 13, 2012.

1. ode2joy, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

ode2joy macrumors member

The Need: replace Toshiba Vista POS laptop with a mac for kids, running itunes and AppleTV home sharing, etc. Will not be used for gaming or other CPU heavy tasks, just basically a simple home computer to link easily to time capsule.
    The find: white Macbook A1181, 1.83Ghz, not sure of year yet but has webcam, 320gb drive upgrade, is running snow leopard. Seems to be from a knowledgable seller, though i'm paranoid about buying a laptop or any computer from an unknown seller. This is local, NOT an Ebay deal.
    I own several Mac products, iphones, ipad, Time Capsule, ATV2, etc. but am no expert. Please advise me of anything i'm forgetting!!!! I know this model has an older, slower processor but my mainstay is a MBP with only 2G ram and a 120GB drive and i'm getting by just fine. That probably tells you my needs aren't complex.

What's it worth? Thanks! I'm in the Southeast if that matters

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. ode2joy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, never knew about that site. Wow, though, it's giving me a VERY low figure, just $250, does that sound real world to any of you experts? The seller i have found is asking around 400.

Thanks again for any advice

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

A few months ago I bought a mid 2007 MacBook (2.0Ghz, 80GB hd, 2 gig Ram) for $479.

I bought it from a trusted store as a refurbished unit.

I know I could have paid less on craigslist or ebay, but I was willing to pay more to get a Mac that I knew worked. It also came with an almost new battery (it had 95 charge cycles on it).

That's a reference point for you.

5. Android300zx macrumors regular

You could always just get a Mac Mini for them. If you prefer a laptop then I guess that wouldn't work.

6. ode2joy thread starter macrumors member

I would love a mac mini, but i'm shopping in the 400 range, and they start at 500, plus no monitor/keyboard/drive, etc.

minifridge, do you mind me asking where you got yours? Feel free to pm me if you'd rather not post that, not sure if it would violate forum rules.

thanks

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It's not against forum rules :)

8. Android300zx macrumors regular

You could maybe setup a trade on CL for a Mac Mini. In my area I've seen some range from $250-$400 used and working with upgrades added to them sometime. You could maybe trade your laptop for it and put a little cash on top.

It doesn't have to be the newest gen if they are going to use it for basic use.

9. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I don't mind at all. And they were good to me, so I don't mind giving them a plug. I bought mine from MicroCenter. They're a chain with lots of great prices, but they don't have a lot of stores. Some of their refurb units can only be bought in-store. If you're near one, I say go take a look.

Some places I looked that had similar prices were:
    www.powermax.com
    www.macofalltrades.com

I have never purchased form them, so I can't personally vouch for them.

Good Luck!!!!