Price Advice What's It Worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gugo, Sep 26, 2012.

1. gugo macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I hope this is an acceptable place to post this question.

I recently got a rMBP and I'm just loving it... and subsequently am looking to downsize and sell my Mac Pro. It's a Mid 2010, single 2.8GHz Quad with 7GB Apple RAM, x2 2TB HDDs, x1 1TB HDD, x1 120GB SSD, a 5870, and Mountain Lion.

The thing is, I've had it listed for $2,500 OBO online for a little while and it hasn't sold. Has my Mac Pro really depreciated in value that much? Or is its configuration discouraging to some prospective buyers? It's absolutely mint and comes with everything it shipped with, so I'm skeptical it's anything else than pricing that's preventing its sale.

Thanks for your time, if anyone knows best, it's you guys here!

Cheers!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

3. gpzjock macrumors 6502a

Most power users will be hanging on for the next gen update, you will have to consider that with your pricing. Having said that $2000 would be a fair price IMHO.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I saw a similarly spec'd 2008 octo go for half that recently. MP prices have taken a nose dive recently. Don't know why.

5. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

I'd say try to get roughly $1800. Your asking price is a bit much.

6. TomTomTuning macrumors regular

I just paid $1400 for a completely stock 5,1 2.8GHz, 3GB RAM, 1TB HD 5770. When I got home I found out it has AppleCare till mid 2014. So it's about 1 year old and in flawless condition. I got it from Craigslist.

So I would say around $2000 OBO. If someone offers you something close to that, Id probably take it.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I'd list it at $1950 to get under the psychological $2000 barrier, and accept anything over $1500.

It sounds like a fabulous machine, with lots of storage, but MPs are for a fairly specific market. And as flopticalcube noted, their prices have taken a dive recently.

Good luck with your sale!