What's it worth?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SLC Flyfishing, Mar 29, 2008.

1. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

So I posted a thread a week or so ago about my mother-in-law's macbook that got ruined by water. It's kaput, motherboard is ruined so the repair isn't really worth it compared to just buying a new one that will be faster and have a larger hard drive. I had a tax free sale coming up at my university bookstore where they were going to unload some of the 2.2 GHz blackbooks that are leftover for $999 but she went out and bought a new one last night anyway.

So now I'm wondering, what do you think that someone would pay for basically a screen and a superdrive? I already pulled the HDD from it and put it in an enclosure. So it's the case, and whatever problem is keeping the computer from functioning, the screen and superdrive are still intact. She's wanting to sell what's left for whatever is a fair price. The screen received absolutely no water damage.

So let me know what you all think! (It's a pre Santa Rosa version 2.13 GHz processor and we'd leave in the RAM (1GB)) if it helps it sell.

SLC

2. iBookG4 FTW macrumors member

iBookG4 FTW

Honestly it'd probably be easier (and get you more money) by taking it apart and selling it peice by peice.

3. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I'd imagine you could atleast get a hundred to a couple hundred dollars for the screen, depending on the seller...Maybe someone destroyed their screen and doesn't want to pay $800 for Apple to replace their's? If that were the case, and it was a good screen in good condition, you might be able to get $1-200 for it, but I wouldn't know for sure and I wouldn't be able to give you any exacts.

Edit:
    Yeah, this is what I meant, but I got beat to it.

4. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

OK that sounds like a good idea. I've seen screens going for about $220 on ebay. Do you think the super drive is even worth anything?

SLC

5. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I honestly have no idea. I don't think very many people are interested in replacing their super drive, as I doubt it's too easy, but, who knows...Someone else probably knows better than me.

Anyways, good luck with the screen, and let us know how it turns out.