What's keeping my Mac awake?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NorCalLights, Dec 15, 2010.

1. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,
    I have a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard Client that I use as a HTPC and also as a fileserver for the Time Machine backups from 4 other Macs in my house. It is connected to a Drobo. I run it with no keyboard or mouse attached (I use Screen Sharing to control it).

I have the Mac Mini set to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity, and I have it set to "Wake for Network Activity".

For some reason, my Mini never goes to sleep. Is there any way to tell what is keeping it from sleeping? I'm hoping there is a console log or something that might tell me this info.

I know it isn't the Time Machine backups from the other computers... even if I shut down every other machine in the house, it still won't sleep.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. NorCalLights thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. edm macrumors newbie

If you have a hdmi adapter plugged into the mini, that will keep it awake as well.

4. NorCalLights thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh interesting... my Mini is one of the old style with DVI out, so I'm using a simple DVI to HDMI cable to connect it to my HDTV. Why would that keep it awake?

When I get home I'll try disconnecting it.

5. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Maybe you should ask her ...

[​IMG]

6. doshirj macrumors newbie

Sleep

I had the same problem on my old Mac. I could never isolate what caused the problem, but I'm guessing it was a poorly designed application that I installed, perhaps one that has a background task or an updater.