Whats keeping you from getting a new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by illegalprelude, Mar 8, 2009.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I have to say, this update made it very tempting to get a new mac pro (ive been wanting to replace my G5 for sometime now) and its a heck of a lot cheaper too IMHO, the same config as last time, came around $1000 cheaper for me this time :D

Having said that, I cant help but wait. First, Im assuming that once Snow Leopard get shipped, that a Mac Pro will follow and I just think Snow Leopard installed on the system from the beginning will somehow be better suited and more optimized then me installing it myself. That maybe by launch, the next version of the Xenon processor will be out.

2nd beef is and maybe Snow Leopard will also fix this problem is Blu-ray. I just cannot understand for the love of god, why Apple does not support Blu-ray when we sat on the Blu-ray board. Either give just software support and let people get their own external drive or internal, or offer the option for just a lot of money. Its not like were not used to them jacking up the price to the moon for ram and hard drive space. So why not just offer it as an option for those who want it, im not asking for it be standard. I dunno, it just really ticks me off when I see an $800 Acer come with a blu-ray player but to not even have the option for my $5000 Mac Pro.

/end rant\ lol

So, whats your reason for not getting a Mac Pro just yet?

2. amoergosum macrumors 6502

???

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Exactly, what? :confused:

If you think that there will be "residue", do an Erase and Install.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I would bet that is whats keeping about 98% of people from picking one up today.

5. m1stake macrumors 68000

The 5500 series isn't even officially out yet, I wouldn't bet on the 5600 series coming out before January 2010. :rolleyes: You're probably better off installing it yourself and getting rid of the printer drivers and language packs. "Optimized" doesn't mean anything.

Personal reason for not buying the new Mac Pro? I'd have to go with the laughable combination of much higher price for similar performance... unless you move up to the 2.66 dual quad option or above. That hardly makes sense.

6. miK. macrumors 6502

miK.

It's not the money, I can afford it. It's the VALUE.
    Folks are saying it's overpriced. It's NOT overpriced for what it is, but
    it is overkill for my needs. I do not want a glossiMac or Mini.

It's interesting that more people than ever are talking Hackintosh now.
    I am thinking exactly the same thing.

7. cmaier macrumors G3

1) "It's the VALUE."
    2) "It's NOT overpriced for what it is."

Clear as mud.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

+++ monies

9. miK. macrumors 6502

miK.

Let me clarify for you then... to ME the cost is too much to pay for what I need.

10. mik34 macrumors member

Don't need one for what I do on the computer. Sounds nice though.

11. fabriciom macrumors 6502

The problem with apple right now is that their stock is not plummeting like the rest of the stock market. If that happens then they will be pressured to lower prices. Until then. Keep wishing...

12. cmaier macrumors G3

No they won't. They make high end computers and make more profit per computer. That's their business model. Complaining that they cost too much is like complaining because Porsche won't make a $12,000 commuter car.

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I would have to say my current Mac Pro (early 2008) :)

Which I may upgrade with the new Radeon HD 4870.

14. fabriciom macrumors 6502

They make their money with the ipod, iphone, mac books and imacs. Thats why they can "afford" to price the mac pros a what ever they like. Also most people who purchase mac pros do it for business not pleasure. If their over all sales drop 40-50% like the rest of the industry they will drop prices. Apple is a sales company not services. So if their are not making money selling jack where is the income gonna come from? Steve Jobs doing presentations around the world?

15. cmaier macrumors G3

No they won't drop prices. All of the other things you mention (ipod, iphone, mac books, imacs) are also premium-priced products - you can get equivalent (albeit far less elegant) functionality far cheaper.

They are a sales company which is exactly why they won't lower prices. They may market new products to other niches (home servers, etc.), but they won't fundamentally alter the price structure of their existing products. To do so would be like BMW charging Chevy prices. It might increase sales in the short term, but would destroy their brand and necessitate making lower quality products. Won't happen. You heard it here first.

16. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

17. fabriciom macrumors 6502

All car companies have lowered their prices, GM will be going out of business soon, Toyota (which is the worlds biggest automaker) asked the government for help. What are you expecting the US government to jump in a nationalize apple? If you think a drop on sales/stock will not force them to lower prices you are just plain ignorant. All public companies respond to what ever their stockholders demand.

18. cmaier macrumors G3

A drop in sales isn't important. Profit is. And not all car companies have lowered prices. And the ones that have have not done so in a way that fundamentally alters price structures. You don't get a Mercedes for the price of a Honda. You get a Honda for a few percent less dough.

Apples still sell really well, and Apple makes more money per machine than nearly everyone else. They're doing fine, and while prices may drop $50 here and $100 there, they are not going to magically start charging commodity PC prices for their stuff, no matter how much people on hear whine. To do so would actually be suicide, and Steve Jobs knows this better than anyone.

19. m1stake macrumors 68000

No one is asking for the Mac Pro to be a $1000 machine, lomyale.

20. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

Bingo !
    same here...of course :(

21. Weepul macrumors regular

Performance per dollar. Unless independent benchmarks come up with a very pleasant surprise, I can do better with a used 8x2.8, although it wouldn't be as fast in absolute terms.

22. grue macrumors 65816

The cost/benefit of upgrading from my 8x3.0 would be appalling.

23. designed macrumors 6502

designed

I'm waiting for the first benchmarks to arrive. The 2.66GHz octo is a bit pricey for my liking, and I have my doubts about the 2.26GHz octo vs. 2.66GHz quad. Along with the benchmarks I'm waiting for a few in-depth reviews discussing i.e. upgrading the processors on the 2.26GHz octo.

But this is the update I was waiting for, so it's either now or much later again.

24. Igantius macrumors 65816

Similar to designed, I'm waiting for some real-world benchmarks.