Whats left to do on my G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Lil Chillbil, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I recently bought a g4 tower
    400mhz powerpc g4
    10gb hardrive
    16mb video card
    64 mb ram
    cd drive
    zip drive
    os 9.2.2

I bought some stuff and I upgraded the specs up to
    400mhz powerpc g4
    80gb harddrive
    16mb video card
    2gb ram
    dvd burner drive
    zip drive
    os x 10.4.11
    I also bought it a 17" studio display monitor apple keyboard and mouse
    10 100mb zip disks and a external 3.5 inch floppy drive with 50 1mb disks

so I want to know what else I should upgrade this summer

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The CPU, the hard drive, the video card, and the OS.

3. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

It'd probably help if we knew what specific PowerMac G4 you have. Then we can give you more specific upgrades to choose from.

4. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

would overclocking the CPU to 500 MHz be safe with the stock vents or would I have to ramp up the ventilation system

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

He has a Sawtooth.

You can overclock it a bit, maybe to 450Mhz. But it isn't really worth it on such an old machine. The stock cooling would be able to handle it.

6. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

how did you know I had a sawtooth

are you a genie?

----------

oh and what os x would run faster on my g4
    jaguar panther or tiger

7. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

It's doable, but for the money you'd spend on extra cooling, you could purchase a used dual processor G4. They go pretty cheap on eBay. Here's a link to a dual 1GHz from a Quicksilver for $30. You'd need to purchase a heat sync as well. I know on OWC's website, they sell CPU upgrades that are compatible with a Sawtooth, Gigabit Ethernet, Digital Audio, and Quicksilver...so I know the Dual G4 from eBay can physically fit in your Sawtooth. I'd just wait and see if anyone else on here can verify a Dual 1GHz from a Quicksilver will function properly in a Sawtooth.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Magic. Actually just deduction based on the specs you listed. Three PowerMac G4's came with a 400Mhz G4. Two can take 2GB of ram and one of those two came with a 10GB hard drive. The Studio Display threw me for a loop, but them I remembered that Apple called their big 17" CRT a Studio Display.

Tiger runs fairly well on a 400Mhz G4. Panther may be a bit faster, but you'd loose lots of compatibility. Once you get around 1Ghz, Leopard can be faster if you have enough ram.

A dual Quicksilver G4 will work in a Sawtooth. But the Sawtooth must have a UniNorth revision of 7 or higher for the Sawtooth to be able to use dual G4's. There was a little utility that could check it for you.

9. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Tiger would function on a 400MHz, but it would be a little slow. I'd stick with Jaguar unless you need software that only runs on Panther or Tiger. The reason I chose Jaguar is because it requires less RAM (128MB vs 256MB) and also, Panther is just as outdated in terms of support as Jaguar is. Neither has a stable web browser anymore.

If you decide to upgrade the CPU, I'd run Tiger until you upgrade your GPU. Then I'd run Leopard.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

11. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

12. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

If you really want to, I guess you could get one of those 7448 upgrades. Then, though, it would be essentially a different computer, and those 7448 upgrades are really expensive, even with the significant performance boost. I'm not completely sure your G4 model is compatible with it.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A 7448 will work in a Sawtooth. The best of course is the dual 1.8Ghz 7448. They are really hard to find now days and can sell for $550+.

14. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

550 beans!!! Holy ripoff Batman!

Okay, granted. I know the 7448's are one hell of an upgrade. But DAMN! You could get a newish refirbed mini for that price. Or if you want to stay PPC a really shweet G5 quad. While I get the nostalgia of the Sawtooth (I personally owned 3 in my time). That kinda bread is just nuts.
    I agree with the more conservative route. Find a dual proc on ebay for pennies, upgrade the hd to the fastest you can afford. You could even keep the drive you have now for boot/OS and install a nice SATA drive with an adapter. I just did that here with this PB 1.5 and I do not regret it in the least! Took a bit of fiddling to get the keyboard to sit right but well worth it.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In 2002-2005 those didn't cost as much and their usefulness was much higher as well.

16. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

duel core is compatable i'm gonna see if I can order one off ebay later this summer

----------

but as for the harddrive how big can I go

17. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

The largest you can go without modification is 128GB, but there are ways around this. Check out this LowEndMac article about it. I'm sure it'll help you find a solution that works for you.

18. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

128 GB would be just fine for me the reason i'm doing this is because I always admired people who had g4 towers in there heyday around 2002 and now in the summer of 2012 I can finally afford to own one and trick it out to the max specs.

19. Lil Chillbil thread starter macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

is the 128gb how much I can store per drive carriage like I could install 2 128gb hard drives or is that the total limit

20. Litany macrumors member

Where the heck does somebody find a 128GB IDE hard drive anymore?

Ditch the G4 and get a refurb Mini or a G5 Quad. Both will wipe the floor with your G4 and cost less than what you're dumping into that $30 computer.

21. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

You don't need to use an ide drive. There are sata to ide adapters available

22. macuser453787 macrumors 6502

Yes. Lil Chillbil, take note. Many things can be done. See below.

Any particular reason to keep using the Zip drive? CD-R/DVD-R is a wonderful thing - much cheaper and much higher capacity. You could return the Zip disks you bought, toss the Zip drive and use the open drive bay for another HDD. Seriously, unless you really need the Zip drive for some reason, you may want to consider other options. Just a thought. :)

I have a PowerLogix CPU upgrade in my Digital Audio (upgraded from stock dual 533 mHz to dual 1.67 gHz). Well worth the (somewhere between $400 and $500) I paid for it in 2006. :)

For that matter, Lil Chillbil could buy a Sonnet PCI SATA card or two (depending on the number of drives he wants to install - they each run 2 drives). Then he could buy either SATA HDDs or SSDs to run off the PCI card(s) instead of off the motherboard's ATA connection. Lil Chillbil this will also solve the HDD capacity barrier per your question below.

You could get an SSD for your boot drive and use HDDs for your data. Many users do that and enjoy the benefits of increased speed from the SSD.

Sonnet PCI SATA card (see above) breaks the 137GB per drive limit. As an example, my Digital Audio has two of those Sonnet PCI SATA cards running a 1TB drive and two 500GB drives.

Here's the card I'm talking about:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet Technologies/TSATA/

It would be a good idea to make sure this will work in the Sawtooth model.

Lil Chillbil, there's a lot you can do to your Sawtooth depending on how much you want to spend. I don't know about video card options but I'm sure a quick search on google or on this website will turn up some results for you. You can do a lot more upgrading if you choose to. About the only thing I haven't done with mine is an SSD upgrade.

23. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

Lots of useful info on this post. Thanks guys:D

Without wanting to hijack this thread will the dual 1GHz from a Quicksilver work on a dual g4 450 MHZ mystic?

24. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Taylor i used to own a similar machine,and panther run's better then jaguar...however as both have outdated web browsers (could run camino 1.6 on panther) but still to many page errors ect....i would suggest if Lil plans on using as internet browsing machine,to run mac os 9.2 and use classilla...

25. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Dunno, do you have it?
    If not try to dual 1.6 7455 from OWC (macsales.com)

I love my Digital Audio G4 <3