Whats maximun space limit a MMS can be?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mdee4, Sep 25, 2009.

1. mdee4 macrumors regular

How large of a file can a picture, video, or audio be when being sent as a MMS??

is there a way to send an audio file(song on ipod app) through MMS?

EDIT: In Settings.app>General>Network>Cellular Data Network> Scroll down to MMS Max Message Size... mine says "614400". But 614400 what? KB?

I can edit the file number... if I edit it to a larger number, does this mean I can send better quality stuff then???

2. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

I don't think there is a limit to the size of a picture or video

and the only audio file that can be sent is a voice memo

3. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

I read 10mb

4. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

On the 3GS or in the IPCC files, I saw a setting somewhere that said the upper bound was set to 1 MB but with the AT&T 5.1/5.2 IPCC files loaded, saw it set lower to 600K in the Cellular Network menu in the phone's Settings. Since that menu is now gone in 5.5, I don't know what it's actually set to right now. But considering the state of AT&T's data network, can't imagine it's over 1 MB right now.

5. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

What? Where? Ive never heard of it being anywhere near that high! :(

6. mdee4 thread starter macrumors regular

In Settings.app>General>Network>Cellular Data Network> Scroll down to MMS Max Message Size... mine says 614400. But 614400 what? KB?

I can edit the file... if I edit it to a larger number, can I send better quality stuff???

7. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

I'd metaphorically "bet my next month's paycheck" the unit is bytes. 614400 bytes would be 600K exactly.

I'm not sure you could just increase that number because I bet there are checks on the carrier side for limits. Still, if you want to give it a whirl and see what happens...

8. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Take a video and sent it to yourself. It will ask you to trim it to size. Trim, send, save then look at what size it is.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't have a Cellular Data Network selection in Network.

10. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

When playing around with it before, AT&T seems to have a server size cap so, don't think so.

11. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

It was present when using the 5.1/5.2 IPCC file for AT&T but has gone away using the official 5.5 IPCC file.