What's missing?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrDudez, Jun 22, 2014.

1. MrDudez, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014

MrDudez macrumors newbie

Ok, here's my case… Replaced my dying HD (Main HD) with a Samsung EVO 840, all good here, no big deal of a problem using SSD Fan Control.. now here comes the thing… i also replaced the internal DVD with an Intel SSD and installed windows 8.1 there.. also no big problem while the old Main HD was on booting trough EFI, now.. after i replaced the main HD with new SSD i can't boot to Windows 8.1 SSD disk (not partition of main, but the Intel SSD) unless i plug the old HD drive on USB and boot the iMac so i see the EFI boot option.. ok.. maybe my explanation wasn't much on a tech one and i hope some of you deep techs can understand the situation and help me to solve it : ) :roll eyes:

Read somewhere it has something to do with MBR tables… just don't know what that is :(

That's what i get from rEFIt

*** Report for internal hard disk ***

Current GPT partition table:
    # Start LBA End LBA Type
    1 2048 468860927 Basic Data

Current MBR partition table:
    # A Start LBA End LBA Type
    1 1 4294967295 ee EFI Protective

MBR contents:
    Boot Code: None

Partition at LBA 2048:
    Boot Code: Windows BOOTMGR (Vista)
    File System: NTFS
    Listed in GPT as partition 1, type Basic Data

2. MrDudez thread starter macrumors newbie

3. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

Its been awhile since I had to deal with Windows but there used to be a fixboot command in the Recovery Console. Sounds like you need to boot from your Windows 8.1 disk (whatever form that takes) and launch the recovery tools. The installer should be able to figure out the problem and resolve it.

4. MrDudez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply, the thing is, there's nothing wrong with Windows 8.1 itself, system is working fine when booted having my old HD (Machintosh HD) attached to USB. It seems some sort of Boot Record was left there allowing windows to startup. I hope I'm making this explanation right :) As you can read on my first post, when i had the old HD the Windows System (installed on a second SSD drive) would boot trough EFI flawless, but when i replaced the main HD with a new SSD i can only get windows to run if i attach the old Mac HD to an USB port (then i go Boot>Option Button and so on) voila.. windows boot.

What I'm looking for is a way to boot windows (installed on a separated SSD and not a partition of main) without having to plug my old HD back via USB.

It's all too weird for me and english is not my native language, so i hope (again) I'm putting this the right way so you guys can understand what's going on and hopefully help me with this issue.

Thanks again for your reply

5. jaxhunter macrumors regular

jaxhunter

I understand what you are describing and I'm saying it sounds to me like the problem is with Windows, specifically that for some reason your MBR is on your old Mac HD. You need to run the fixboot command from the Windows installer (Recovery Console or whatever Recovery tools are there) to have it correct the problem and put the Master Boot Record either on the new Mac HD or on the Windows HD. There is no funcion in Mac OS (that I can think of) that would have caused this problem. The problem was likely created during the original Windows installation.

6. MrDudez thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, got it. Thanks for your support, i fixed using a very good tool called "Easy Recovery Essentials for Windows".