what's MMS? and why AT&T is getting trashed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 9, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

First of all, what is MMS? Please enlighten me.

And, I see someone saying AT&T is incapable or unwilling to flick a switch on. Is MMS that simple or easy to provide?

Pardon my lack or knowledge.

2. matttye macrumors 601

MMS stands for multimedia messaging service (or words to that effect)
    It lets you attach pictures, videos or sound clips to your text messages.

3. D3lta macrumors 6502a

4. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

So why is MMS so important if someone can just open their gmail on the iPhone, and attach whatever they want to that?

5. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Most of my friends don't have an iPhone, so sending them an email and waiting for them to reply once they get on a computer isn't that convenient. Since most phones support MMS, it makes things easier.

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

The reason is a lot of people out there either are not informed enough on how to send emails from phones other than the iPhone or they're too lazy.

My friends fall into the category of being lazy or just down right stupid. It's been a major gripe - I can live without MMS, but I welcome it over the retarded web service we had to originally use.

7. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Because some providers block the xxxxxxxxxx@provider.name.com from other providers?

Because as shocking as it may sound there are plenty of phones out there that are not email capable?

Because those phones can send MMS to an iPhone and all we get now is the idiotic and useless ViewMyMessage.com BS?

Because my Motorola Razr on AT&T had a 100% delivery rate on MMS, yet iphone 3G to iphone 3G via email, with both having yahoo mail, averages about 60% delivery rate?

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Uh, sounds like it's time to ditch Yahoo?

I've used 3 different mail providers on my iPhone for a year with a 100% success rate.

9. ryvetted macrumors member

Faster, funner and easier for both the sender and receiver, at least for my uses.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Oh, and OP - The BIG reason for the trashing is that AT&T has had MMS on other phones for years.

Yes, it's Apple's fault that the iPhone didn't have it until now, but now that Apple said 'ok' what's the problem with AT&T since all their other phones do it?

That's what most of the complaints are about.

11. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

12. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Don't think it's yahoo. I can go home, grab that pic, and email it and it'll go through fine every time. When I try via the iPhone....sometimes it goes, sometimes it doesn't. Same issue with trying via GMail, and same issue whether it be on the original 3G or the replacement one I got a few months ago.....