What's my ideal Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by turtlemac, Nov 19, 2009.

1. turtlemac macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm still a student and I will be purchasing a MacBook Pro in late Jan or early Feb.

I will be using my MacBook to surf the net, music purposes and my school work. As for gaming wise, i will be playing games like Football Manager 10, Civ IV on it.

My question is, should i go for the 13 inch MBpro or the 15 inch MBpro? Or perhaps i can even go for the MacBook?

Price isn't a factor as my dad will be funding it.

2. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Any of those laptops should be sufficient for your current needs, but a faster machine might be a little less obsolete by the time you graduate.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

If money isn't an issue, then buy the machine you want, and are willing to carry around. The 13" mbp is the smallest and lightest of the machines, but the screen of the 15" may be worth the extra weight. They're all spec'ed ok

4. turtlemac thread starter macrumors newbie

So the 13 inch will be alright to play the games i have mentioned above?

5. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

There is no difference between the 2.53 13" and the 2.53 15" other than resolution (which you will appreciate in FM 2010).

I got the 13 because I carry it daily and the smaller size is much more comfortable (weight is not an issue between the two...).

If you go with the 15" for gaming you better spend the additional 200 for the model with the 9600GT.

6. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

go for high end 15".
    mine is in my sig, and i carry it sometimes around.
    I think it's not too heavy though.
    2,5 KGs is nothing compared to my grammar school bag! it weights 7kg.

7. Ryken macrumors newbie

If you are taking it to class or school more than once a week, get the 13"

If you are doing things that require two windows open at a time, get the 15" or get the 13" and a cheap external monitor + apple keyboard + mouse.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm doing that sort of thing, and I'm getting the middle 15" MBP with a SSD. Though any machines will be fine for what your doing, its nice to have a speedy one :D

9. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

My opinion: If you can afford it, go for the mid line 15" over both 13" models and the entry level 15" model.

My reasoning: Better graphics card, larger screen, and higher screen resolution.

**I would ignore the "portability difference" all together when making this decision. And here is why:

It's true that the 13" is smaller and a bit lighter. But let me ask you this: Do you cary a backpack around with you to classes with your school books in it?

If the answer is yes then the reality is you will see little to no difference in the "portability" of the 13" vs the 15" as they both will sit in the same size back pack with the same amount of books. The 15" weighs 5.5lbs. and the 13" weighs 4.5lbs. But in a backpack with books totaling somewhere around 10-30lbs, what is another 1lbs.?

When I was in college I first had a 13" macbook and I later upgraded to a 15" macbook pro. I never noticed a difference in portability (i.e. same backpack with the same books) and the 15" sat just fine on any classroom desk as well as on my lap in giant lecture halls.

Like I said, if the price difference is not a big factor then go for the 15" based on the better graphics card, larger screen, and higher screen resolution. I would ignore the "portability difference" all together when making this decision.

EDIT: I should also note that having a backlit keyboard while in class is HUGE. especially since a lot of professors will turn the lights down or even off while giving powerpoint presentations or showing videos. Having a backlit keyboard will allow you to continue typing notes while those with laptops around you will get frustrated and jealous because they can no longer type.:)

10. bmstrong macrumors 6502

I agree the Mid-15 is the sweet spot.

11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I would get the less expensive one out of respect for the fact that someone else is paying for it.

12. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Wait and ask the question when the new models come out and you're ready to buy.