Price Advice What's my MBP worth?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dizzie20vt, May 17, 2012.

  1. Dizzie20vt macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2009
    #1
    I have a

    2.66ghz i7 (mid '10 / 6,2) 15" macbook pro
    8gb RAM (upgraded crucial)
    500gb HDD
    hi-res shiny screen
    Currently running 10.7.4

    VGC throughout. I've always sleeved it during transport.

    24 months old on coconut battery with 256 battery cycles. battery capacity 91%

    I was thinking roughly £1000...

    It's a toss up between buying a new one next month and selling this. or SSD this with the 500gb in the optibay.
     
  2. mac-collector macrumors regular

    mac-collector

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2012
    Location:
    Europe
    #2
    I'll give you $50 for it. But that is probably because I have something similar, I don't know.
     
  3. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 9, 2010
    Location:
    Amsterdam, NL
    #3
    I'd say unless you really want/need the new 'redesign' 2012 MacBook Pro, put in an SSD! I have in every single Mac I own. It just makes it so much better!

    I don't live in the UK, so I can't estimate a good price for you.
     
  4. Weaselboy Moderator

    Weaselboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #4
    I usually check eBay for recently ended auctions to get a feel for pricing.
     
  5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #5
  6. Weaselboy Moderator

    Weaselboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #6
  7. Gen macrumors 6502a

    Gen

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
  8. iAppleseed macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    #8
  9. NewGuyHere macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2012
    #9
  10. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

    dlimes13

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    Location:
    Perrysburg, OH
    #10
    $1200 usd.
     
  11. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #11
    It is somewhat region specific. The cost isn't the same in the UK relative to the US. I mean that what it's worth in the US can be different by a factor greater than the currency conversion. In both regions the value is leveraged by what they cost new.

    For the OP, you could always wait for the new one to see what it's like. If you buy an SSD that is warrantied for several years, it could be passed on to a new machine at a later time if you like. I wouldn't buy a new computer just to obtain an SSD, and the things that are sped up by an SSD are entirely different from those that benefit from more cpu power. Obviously I don't know what you do on your machine. If you're not strained on cpu power, there's no reason to upgrade unless you really like some feature of the new ones. Electronics will depreciate no matter what, whether it's the older model or the new one. If I didn't require a new computer sooner, I'd be tempted to see if Intel lives up to its hype on Haswell rather than Ivy given that we're slipping to a mid year year release on this generation.
     
  12. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #12
    with a name like weaselboy you should!
     
  13. Dizzie20vt thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2009
    #13
    Cheers guys

    Your Computer is a
    MacBook Pro unibody 15 inch Intel Core i7 2.66 GHz 8192 / 500 GB / superdrive
    The Mac2Sell Quoted Value is :
    960 £

    it does have the hi-res screen which isn't an option so my guess at £1000 wasn't a million miles away.

    I think I'll SSD this one anyway and then wait a few months to see how the new ones look and for them to iron out any bugs.
     
  14. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

    JoshGlzBrk

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    #14
    I was able to get $1450 for my Mid 2010 2.66 i7, 8GB, hi-res glossy, 256GB ssd last month.

    And that was from a local craigslist buyer so no ebay/paypal fees ********.


    So $1000-$1300 is likely.
     
  15. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

    yusukeaoki

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #15
    I would say for about 1200USDs.
    With the new update coming, your 2010 model will keep on dropping its value.
     
  16. hajime macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #16
    I would put a SSD in and use it for 2-3 more years. Then, sell it and get a new machine. You can still use the SSD in your future machine.
     
  17. r0k macrumors 68040

    r0k

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    Location:
    Detroit
    #17
    I agree. Put in an SSD and get more use out of it.

    I'm still using my 2008 white Macbook with a "hybrid" SSD. I'll probably be upgrading this summer if they come out with any retina MBP models. I'll probably go for the 13 inch model. Meanwhile, this machine is still useful so I'll either pass it along to another family member or sell it on ebay or craigslist.
     
  18. maril1111 macrumors 68000

    maril1111

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2010
    Location:
    Denmark
    #18
    1000GBP seems like a good estimate and in worst case you can always go lower to around 960 but i wouldn't go any lower than that, in that case slam in an ssd and you can use it for longer until you manage to sell it or whatever you decide to do.
     
  19. smilingiscool macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 23, 2012
    Location:
    USA
    #19
    I totally disagree. Weaselboy sounds like a totally intelligent, yet sophisticated name!
     
  20. halledise macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Location:
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    #20
    now now girls ;)
     
  21. Weaselboy Moderator

    Weaselboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #21
    This is exactly what I was trying to capture with the name. :D
     
  22. smilingiscool macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 23, 2012
    Location:
    USA
    #22
    You funny guy. Haha :) :D
     

Share This Page