What's new in El Capitan Developer Preview 7, and what's broken?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by wwwjfy, Aug 19, 2015.

1. wwwjfy macrumors newbie

Ready to upgrade, any forewarning appreciated.

2. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

If you have a Mac Pro with a non-EFI nVidia card stay away. Completely screwed my system.

3. Scary Spice macrumors regular

Scary Spice

4. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

my rmbp wont boot, get an error saying your computer restarted because of a problem :(

5. dan9700 macrumors 6502a

dan9700

Mines actually a lot faster you see a big jump in speed with this beta now lets hope ios one is same

6. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

booted into safemode and the install "finished" after a few more reboots we are back in business! really glad I didnt have to do a restore.

7. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

My clock in the menu bar at the top is not appearing. Attempts to toggle the setting causes SysPrefs to freeze for a solid 30 seconds, and nothing happens when it unfreezes, although the preference is toggled.

Rebooting hasn't solved it.

:p

Edit: it seems to keep opening and crashing

8. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Exchange working for me with no issues in all the PB of El Capitan. Have you tested in a new User?

9. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

replace with istat menus :)

10. jtropeano macrumors member

jtropeano

Exchange hasnt worked for some of us since PB1. I think it's a problem with Exchange 2010 specifically. Seems to authenticate, pull mails and calendar, then clunk out after a period of time. Sending outgoing messages also kills the authentication. My suspicion is that Echange 2010 doesn't like reauthentication when it already has an authentication session open.

The problem only exists when using Exchange through the OS (Internet Accounts in System Prefs). Using a different mail client like Outlook or Airmail works fine. But the OS integration is buggy for Exchange 2010.

11. kzolnowski macrumors newbie

"Ambient light compensation" checkbox in Settings -> Display is gone.

12. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Anyone else finding how Time Machine backs up has changed? Instead of backing up in /Volumes/[drive]/Backups.backupdb/[nameofmac] it now creates a sparsebundle file in /Volumes/[drive]/[namesofmac].sparsebundle

Three of my Macs cannot backup because the drive is full.

13. rmeulen macrumors member

rmeulen

Same issue for me!

14. dof250 macrumors regular

Mine isn't doing that. It backups the same way as before.

15. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

I had to update Dropbox to latest version to get my files syncing.

16. bicape macrumors newbie

17. JonoH macrumors member

JonoH

Im having issues with icons not showing up in the finder menu.. they seem to only be affecting my NAS.

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 6.27.15 PM.jpg

18. Tarrant64 macrumors member

This is happening to me and it's driving me crazy. Everything was fine until I restarted today. It crashes for several minutes and then settles down.

19. Scary Spice, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

Scary Spice macrumors regular

Scary Spice

Exchange works when adding the account to Internet Accounts (in System Preferences) on the first mac it is added to.

When adding it to subsequent macs, the exchange account is not imported properly. When inspecting the Exchange account in mail preferences on the mac with the failed Exchange account, none of the Exchange Server or server paths are populated. (And they are greyed out as they are controlled by the "Internet Accounts" System Preferences pane).

20. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Copying a lot of files to a USB drive is still very shakey

21. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Ah, thank you - that explains the inconsistent experience and why mine works on one computer but not the other. Roll on beta 8!

22. Tarrant64 macrumors member

So far I've just dealt with the issues in Preview 7 (it is developer, I get it) - but this one has certainly been way more buggy than the previous one. Hope beta 8 is better.

Otherwise it's been an 'OK' experience. Most things working with the exception of Office 2016 crashes and overall interface bugs (clock/menu bar crashing after reboot, dock randomly switches to another monitor, external monitors sometimes don't activate, firewall/allow-access prompts randomly for same applications).

23. leman macrumors 604

In my experience, beta 7 is the most stable of the betas so far and is very closed to the finished product. The only bug I can report is the one with constantly reloading status icons (I also have it occasionally). Most importantly for me, it has fixed the annoying WiFi bug that prevented me from connecting to WPA2 networks.

24. Tarrant64 macrumors member

Update: This appears to be related to having VPN connections setup in my Network Preferences and having them checked to show in the status bar. I was working on adding a new VPN connection and noticed that they were unchecked as showing and when I checked the box whole status far freaked out again and eventually the system unchecked the boxes by itself and everything was fine.

For now, I've left the VPN connections off, and it 'seems' stable.

Office 2016 still crashes frequently.