Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minxy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2012
it almost sounds unbelievable that a smartphone, like the first mobiles, can be tracked even when off, I’d really like to know more about how this works.

I always felt that a stolen phone should ping Apple or Google so the ability to track a phone that’s been stolen or erased is much needed and a good move.

Fox_Vulpez

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
I hope the live location would ask for user permission first before sending the location at high rate, not only for privacy reason but also for the battery life consideration because constant network and location access would drain the battery very quickly, especially on the older iPhone with smaller battery.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
sounds unbelievable that a smartphone, like the first mobiles, can be tracked even when off
It sounds like a privacy nightmare.

I‘m not really wondering if but when a third party will use the Find My network to track people.

Also, it probably won’t be long until US three-letter agencies will acquire access to the system and its data (though as these things are usually done secretly and prohibit Apple’s disclosure, it may take some time until we hear of it or receive credible confirmation).

Last edited:

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah what about Bluetooth? I tested with my iPad Air 3 and I can easily turn off Bluetooth using Control Center. It doesn't need my fingerprint at all.
As far as I understood there was a change in the past for control center. If you turn off bluetooth in control center it is not completely off for internal purposes. But I guess it should be off with flight mode.

Reactions: matrix07

whcchief

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
What stops someone from buying an iPhone SE, turning it off, and planting it on someone they want to stalk? Obviously the privacy implications of these features have not been thought out.
The limited number of hours it stays active for? If turned off manually, it may not stay on. It may only work when battery is depleted and phone is marked lost.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Interesting. Trackable how? What’s left, NFC? How far away does that work?
Ever since apple disables “truly off Bluetooth from control Center” a few version back, control Center on off switch really doesn’t mean much for these scenarios. All those devices need is turning on Bluetooth momentarily to send signals around, and turn it off again, consuming very little amount of power.

It’s the same deal as there is no truly” turning off your device” nowadays, especially those that has non removable batteries.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So could this still show up if you sell the phone?
I believe it is tied to activation lock. If activation lock is gone, tracking is impossible. Otherwise people would see many of “nearby device” signal on their iPhone 12 in an apple store.

FrietVanPiet

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020
I’d hope AirPods can get pinged when the lid is closed. I loose them all the time, and in 99% the lid is closed to Find My won’t do anything. Does anyone know more about that?

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Obviously the privacy implications of these features have not been thought out.
Yes, because someone who has read several paragraphs in a third party article about how something works clearly has a better understanding of it than the folks who spent years thinking about it and designing and implementing it. I’m gonna trust Apple’s judgement on this one more than yours.

RickDEGH

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2018
Frankfurt, Deutschland 🇩🇪
What stops someone from buying an iPhone SE, turning it off, and planting it on someone they want to stalk? Obviously the privacy implications of these features have not been thought out.
And where would the stalker plant the SE, if I may ask you?
Hey there, wait, I want to plant a phone on you, so I can stalk you; don’t worry I’ve turned it off, so you won’t notice it.

• Haha
Reactions: cyanite and fauxtog

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Looking forward to:
"With iOS 15, you can locate your AirPods Pro and AirPods Max using the Find My network. Your AirPods simply send out a secure Bluetooth beacon that can be detected by other Apple devices. They can relay your AirPods' location to the network and then back to your Find My app. And if they're nearby, just choose Play Sound. Listen for the chirp, whether they're in their case or out."
- Apple WWDC 2021

Edit: added underlining

Last edited:
Reactions: srbNYC

EightBitJoe

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2014
The separation alerts saved my butt on a trip last week when I left my iPad in the Airbnb’s bed after checkout.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
A nice option would be for people to be able to go to somewhere online and log stolen phones and then track them and allow others to also follow the tracking. Authorities could track where stolen devices congregate, follow them through the stolen market and catch a lot of criminals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.