Whats newest IE update for Mac??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rhobes, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hi all--

Whenever I use IE (to view new web pages I create) I always get notices somewhere to upgrade to a newer version. I know I can't use IE 8, but I haven't seen anything newer than what I have ( IE 5.2.3) that I can upgrade to for free. Is there anything newer available? :confused:

2. RoninXI macrumors regular

5.x is the most current one there is no 6+ and never will be according to microsoft. What I do to check what I have coded is use a VM (Parallels or VMWare will work) and have different versions of IE on each so I can test in 6,7 and 8. The Mac version of IE was never rendering the same as it's Windows counterpart any way.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Any specific reason you're still running Internet Explorer? I suggest switching to Firefox 2.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

Any specific reason you're still running Firefox 2? I suggest switching to Firefox 3.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. RoninXI macrumors regular

He said he is running it to check sites he has made. Basically a useless venture any way since it is nothing like how a site will look in IE6/7/8 for Windows

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

True, OP, you will need to use either Boot Camp or virtualization to see how IE renders your site.

8. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

9. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Before shelling out money for VMWare/Parallels or boot camp, check this out:
    http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/

You will need to install darwine (just follow those directions on the right hand side of the page), and then you will be able to use IE6 or IE7 to test pages. Give it a shot.

Steve

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Isn't there a FF plugin that allows you to view a website as it appears in IE? Maybe it's only for older versions.

11. RoninXI macrumors regular

I have tried that in the past, in my experience it looks nothing like it does in windows. Could be due to font smoothing/DirectX filters/fonts available

If I remember correctly that was a windows plugin, it would make that 1 tab render like IE6 called "run as IE" or something like that.

You may want to check out the Web Design and Development section they have a lot of nice stuff about this subject in there.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ah yes, only for windows. (It's called IEView)