Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
So what do you think the next revision of the macbook pro has in store?

- OLED Screen?
- Faster Processors?
- Higher Pixel Camera?
- Flash HDs?
- 2 button Trackpad?
- New design?
- No more aluminum?
- Thinner?
- Removable Drives?

Also, when do you think this next rev will be released?

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
In addition to what you said:

1. Long life per battery cycle; Santa Rose will hopefully conserve energy

2. Leopard; Spring is right around the corner

3. iLife 07

4. Smaller form facter; Alot of us are crossing our fingers

5. lighter; if new form factoer, possibly lighter

6. more then 3 gigs of ram

7. Boot Camp improvements

8. updated graphics

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

- OLED Screen?
- Faster Processors?
- Higher Pixel Camera?
- Flash HDs?
- 2 button Trackpad?
- New design?
- No more aluminum?
- Thinner?
- Removable Drives?

i doubt we'll see a two button trackpad. the two finger right click works just fine, and i don't see the demand/need for another trackpad button. i'd love it, though, if we saw the end of aluminum and a new case altogether. it doesn't have to be thinner. it just has to look different.

*edit*
i'd also like it if we saw the incorporation of the latchless lid from the macbook.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
if we saw the end of aluminum and a new case altogether. it doesn't have to be thinner. it just has to look different.

Yes. I would like a new case design. The current one is getting really old and I want my screen to go all the way back like my Thinkpad does. I like that versatility. Removable drive bays would be a big plus as well. Don't know why they don't do that.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I wouldn't mind seeing a redesigned case, but more importantly a new GPU perhaps?

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
You know the titanium powerbook had its design problems like the feet kept falling off, paint chipping and the screen touched the keyboard but MAN was it freaking badass lookin. I would like to see something like that but without those problems.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Why have people got an issue with the aluminium design?

It's old. Its time for something new. One of the reasons I won't buy a MBP is because of the design, if i wanted a Powerbook, I would buy one.

Even if it is change for the sake of change, it is time for a change. I would buy a Macbook (and have) because it is fresh.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Yes. I would like a new case design. The current one is getting really old and I want my screen to go all the way back like my Thinkpad does. I like that versatility. Removable drive bays would be a big plus as well. Don't know why they don't do that.

what about ThinkPads? They've been looking the same for years...in fact all their computers look pretty much exactly the same, give or take a trackpad or a wider form factor. Why dont people complain about ThinkPads? :rolleyes:

however, if the new case is revolutionary i might just sell my mbp for it. I really want a user accessible/replaceable HDD.
my guess is: robson flash tech
-LED backlit LCD
-Updated graphics
-larger standard HDD for relative models
-Santa Rosa/64 bit addressable RAM
-more RAM options
-Blu-Ray SuperDrive option
-an increased cell count in battery

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
what about ThinkPads? They've been looking the same for years...in fact all their computers look pretty much exactly the same, give or take a trackpad or a wider form factor. Why dont people complain about ThinkPads? :rolleyes:

Ok, ThinkPads don't change. Apple computers do, and people grow weary of the design. Pretty straight forward really.

If you never change something, people don't expect you to. If you do, well then they do.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Ok, ThinkPads don't change. Apple computers do, and people grow weary of the design. Pretty straight forward really.

If you never change something, people don't expect you to. If you do, well then they do.

haha i was just saying that for the sake of argument. I understand what you're saying. :p

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
It has to be the sexiest design of any notebook ever made.

It will change eventually when hardware makes it possible. For now, why moan about the coolest looking design out there?

It may be the sexiest design out there, but honestly I like the Macbook more. I like the keyboard, the latch, etc.

Hardware already makes tons of things possible. The design is stale. That is it. Not everyone has to agree.

I don't think I am moaning. I only respond with my opinion because the thread is here. I am not making a new thread everyday about much it sucks. Either it changes or it doesnt. My guess is it will, but until it does I can't bring myself to buy a Powerbook.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
For now, why moan about the coolest looking design out there?

it's not cool when the same design has been around for four years. even then, the aluminum design wasn't a radical departure from the titanium powerbook. so that's six years of roughly the same design, and that's an eternity in the computer world. anything new would be appreciated. maybe then i'll consider getting a macbook pro.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006
I guess they could make a new design, but I can't imagine a much better case than the MBP already has. The funny part is that Apple WILL make something that will probably make my MBP look outdated and crummy, but I just can't imagine it at the moment.

I also like the look of thinkpads, I find them to look very solid, they feel good (at least the old ones did). I loved the ones with the rubbery feel, it was amazing. I have an 8 year old thinkpad that still runs fine today, and would probably withstand much more bashing than any modern non-IBM laptop.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Also, there is no reason not to change the design. Not having a replaceable hard drive is rediculous. Even the macbook made a great advancement with that. No. Its time for change and it must be easy to replace the superdrive and hard drive in the new design. This is something that made the pismo so great. Remember all the stuff you could put in the slots? Zip drives, extra hard drives, new dvd drives.

Lets see more function in the new design. I say.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
It's old. Its time for something new. One of the reasons I won't buy a MBP is because of the design, if i wanted a Powerbook, I would buy one.

Even if it is change for the sake of change, it is time for a change. I would buy a Macbook (and have) because it is fresh.

What are you smoking? A 4 year old design, means its time for something new? Apple's "old design" is still far better than anything I've seen.

I don't think the design is old, but if Apple thinks it needs refining like in the case of the iBook then fine.

A removable battery bay would be useful however on the MBP's.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I think it needs to be completely redesigned from the ground up. The current design was intended for a thicker notebook. When they made it thinner, the design and materials don't work as well. I'm thinking about the way the hinge is restricted because of the thinness of the case and also the way certain parts are prone to buckle because of how narrow the strips of aluminum are: like above the latch button and around the DVD slot.

In addition to changing the material to something more durable and suitable for the thinness of apple's laptops (like the material thinkpads are made of - some kind of magnesium composite) , I'd like to see improvements in ergonomics:

1. a display that can be adjusted up and down for more comfortable work position

2. A trackpad button that is easier to click and with more feedback in the actual clicking

3. The ability to listen to music with the case closed in a battery-saving mode.

4. I'd love a detachable keyboard - coupled with the adjustable height LCD would be an ergonomics breakthrough for a notebook computer.

5. Keyboard keys capable of displaying different information depending on language you're using and other preferences - backlit LED. The keyboard layout could then be completely adapted depending on usage.

6. User upgradeable hard drive -something you can swap in a couple of minutes

7. The same magnetic closing mechanism as the macbook. If this is not going to happen, at least change the release button so that it my relatively small fingers can press it comfortably.

8. A good quality, 8-bit display with even backlighting, good viewing angles and NO grain.

9. And then all the usual improvements: better battery life, better GPU, faster CPU, higher ram limit, better sound etc etc

And all this for the same of lower price! I can keep on dreaming....

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore

- OLED Screen?

Chances are pretty slim of an OLED screen coming to laptops anytime soon. Maybe a few years off from now, though. LED backlit screens, however, are a fairly real posibility in the near future.

- Faster Processors?

With Santa Rosa *slightly* faster processors are coming out using the new 800Mhz FSB. The processors will be clocked up a bit to match the new multiplier settings, topping out at 2.4Ghz.

- Higher Pixel Camera?

Doubtful, since the iSight is really made for just messing around for fun with Photo Booth and for video conferencing. Without a flash a higher MP ccd would still have a lot of grain issues.

- Flash HDs?

Too expensive for any capacities worthy of general usage. But I'm sure you could throw one in yourself if you have the cash to burn on something that'll drop in price at least two-fold within a year ;)

- Thinner?

Personally, I find its size pretty much perfect. If it gets too thin it'll create even more problems with heat management.

Probably a few months after Santa Rosa.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
What are you smoking? A 4 year old design, means its time for something new? Apple's "old design" is still far better than anything I've seen.

I don't think the design is old, but if Apple thinks it needs refining like in the case of the iBook then fine.

A removable battery bay would be useful however on the MBP's.

I have to be smoking because I have an opinion. Get off your horse. I enjoy how you fail to quote this:

Not everyone has to agree.

It my opinion. Back off. YOU can think the design isn't old. This is a subjective topic.

And it is still better than anything else (except for the Macbook), but it is stale.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
About the flash drives, i dont understand why everyone is making a big deal...if the benifits of faster and longer battery life are there, then I want a flash drive and I will store old stuff on a external firewire.

Flash should at least be an option IF its feasible and long lasting.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
would love to see:

* I would absolutely love the ability to raise and lower the screen, but I doubt that would ever happen considering it would likely look pretty odd and this certainly wouldn't do much to help apple sell their displays

* I would really like to see the power adapter moved further back to the left rear corner and have Apple create a swivel hinge that could move horizontally so that the cord could be easily adjusted to be nicely out of the way.

* Increased processor speeds, notice the plural, not just 2.4GHz

* LED Screen as noted

* Magnetic latches

* It might be interesting to see a slightly redesigned model released to differentiate; something nice and not overly dramatic such as the transition from titanium, I wouldn't fight a bold new look though.

* Finally, though not a major issue, it would be helpful to have the little nubby feet on the bottom increased slightly in height and just slightly in width so that the laptop is a bit more elevated off what it is sitting on so as to protect the bottom from scratches and getting dirty from objects that are not readily visible or unavoidable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.