What's next for Apple - Exclusive Apps from Devs?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Has crossed my mind a number of times.
    And I'm sure they would absolutely love to do it.

Do you think Apple might in some way try to get devs to only release some top titles for their format only?
    So if you want to play "Mega awesome new game" you can only play it on an Apple device.

I realise, realistically the only way for this to happen would be to throw extra money at the developer for a Apple only tie in agreement.

Do you think this might every happen?

2. nomik2 macrumors regular

It could...Sony, Nintendo and MS have been doing this for years with much smaller install bases.

3. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Yes, that's what I was thinking.

Games consoles always have exclusives. Nintendo being the worst, or best, depending on your viewpoint on this front.

Imagine if Angry Birds for example was only on the iOS store and no-one was allowed to make any similar game on another platform.

Of course, Apple's own software is only on the iPad. I don't expect they will bring out Pages for Honeycomb for example.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Anything is possible. Steve Jobs might lead an army of chainsaw-wielding zombies to slaughter the innocents down at your local Sunday school. But I doubt it.

I think the evidence that Apple is engaged in particularly egregious anti-competitive behavior is pretty thin. For example, I notice that Apple has approved the Windows Phone 7 Connector app on the Macintosh App Store. To me this says that Apple is more interested in satisfying Macintosh customers who also happen to own Zunes and Windows 7 phones, than in illegally driving a valid competitor out of business.

Obviously the OP hates Apple. We get that.

5. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

I don't like the current path Apple is/has been taking over the last few years. Seemingly being less a computer firm, becoming more interested in gadgets that make the most money and being driven by the business men more and more.

Or so it seems.

I don't think I'm alone in not particularly liking Apples current direction.
    Yes, it makes them lots of money, but it still feels like whilst they are getting richer, they are losing their heart and sole of what made Apple Apple.

6. elan123 macrumors 6502

I agree... whats next.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Any move that apple makes to try to increase exclusiveness is going to be examined by the the Gov't. Just look at the newly opened investigation regarding the subscription issue.

8. Mstyle88 macrumors newbie

They could hypothetically wave or reduce the 30% fee for exclusivity..

9. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

They already have time exclusives over the android phones.

10. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Who do you love? Microsoft? Google? Google makes money selling your data to advertising companies. They don't care about users at all. They make mony every time you serve the internet and using search. Microsoft cares but they are awful. Xbox is great because they make the hardware, too.

11. gatearray macrumors 65816

According to his sig, I would guess that he most likely loves 3 home made PCs and maybe Commodore. :)

Strange that there's no Mac listed anywhere for one who has such strong feelings about how a corporation he has no affiliation with has somehow "lost their way" and the constant stream of threads and posts wanting to discuss it ad nauseum.

12. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Why are people so eaten up by this 30% cut that Apple take? If you sold £1m worth of stuff, Apple get £300k and you get £700k...why is that such a big deal? After all, Apple are the ones who spent hundreds of millions in the first place to put in the infrastructure to allow one-man-band developers get their games/apps out into the wild. Not only that, they are the ones who developed the audience of millions of Apple fans who are there to buy the apps, so yeah...I wonder if Angry Birds would have been as successful if had just launched as a free flash game on MiniClip :rolleyes:

13. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

I did have an original iMac I bought 2nd hand a few years ago and played with that for a while.

In some ways I would like a modern Mac, a high end model. But honest truth is that Apples current path away from computers, into consumer electronics more and their control over media is the main thing that's stopping me from buying one.

Years ago, I may well have, but now, no, I can't lock myself down that path as I feel it will only be a matter of time before I would regret it and have to backtrack away from them.