Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
London
Do you guys think that Apple will update the iPod Nano this year, or (probably more likely) just update the software?

My moneys on them updating the software to make it look a little different, possibly more similar to iOS 7 (not that theres much to change)?

Either way, what would you like to see in the Nano?

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I would love to see the next Nano go back to be just like the 5th gen.

-Its taller screen
-Its polished anodized aluminum finish
-The inclusion of a camera and microphone on the back of the device

It *must* retain it's FM feature imo.. I would also love the clickwheel, although I know that probably won't happen.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
London
-The inclusion of a camera and microphone on the back of the device

Could they fit a camera + mic into it now, it's so thin! Could be cool though...

Personally I think they should remove the home button as it feels so unnecessary when you can swipe to go back to the home screen - would help make it more nano. I don't know whether people liked it smaller though?

I'd also like to see them increase the quality of the playback... Songs never have the same clarity as they do on my phone which I find annoying.

Apart from that, I don't see what they could do to make it better since it has everything it needs. Maybe increase the memory while keeping the same price (I wish!)? I would suggest adding a speaker... But it would be one crappy speaker in a device that small :)

pumazooma

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
UK
My 6th gen has just broken so I might as well wait for the new one in a month or so and get that.

I don't think they'll do a lot. New colours (as they're mostly quite pale and girly) and a software update is probably it. I don't think the white fronts work with most of the colours so I think they'll make them all one colour.

I personally don't see the point of adding a camera. The fact it was dropped from the 5th gen suggests it wasn't really used by anyone. You're likely to have a phone on you with a better one anyway.

The nano has pretty much got to the point where you can't do much more to it other than change the shape a little every couple of years. It does what it does very well, doesn't need anything added to it, it's priced well and has a very small and thin form factor. I like that fact that they went back to the long form as it's easier to handle but I don't think it need to be any bigger or smaller than that.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
This year expect nothing but different colors and maybe a minor software update.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Could they fit a camera + mic into it now, it's so thin! Could be cool though...

Personally I think they should remove the home button as it feels so unnecessary when you can swipe to go back to the home screen - would help make it more nano. I don't know whether people liked it smaller though?

I'd also like to see them increase the quality of the playback... Songs never have the same clarity as they do on my phone which I find annoying.

Apart from that, I don't see what they could do to make it better since it has everything it needs. Maybe increase the memory while keeping the same price (I wish!)? I would suggest adding a speaker... But it would be one crappy speaker in a device that small :)

I don't expect them to fit one, but that doesn't mean I can't wish ;)
I love having a home button.
I'm all for improved SQ..

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
We're just getting a UI update most likely. There won't be any new iPods this year. Mostly because they haven't had the time with all the delays in iOS and then a focus on OS X Mavericks.

The iPod has moved into hobbyist territory. They're either going to have to deal with having a lot of them sitting in storage, or they're going to have to lower the prices. The problem is that even with rock bottom prices, MP3 players are just not selling anymore period. It's not because they aren't good, it's because most would rather use their phones and tablets. It's money saved for something a majority of people won't use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.