What's next?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gladoscc, Oct 6, 2012.

1. gladoscc macrumors 6502

We have the credit-card sized full SIM card, the miniSIM (the ones that dumbphones use), the microSIM (iPhone 4(S)), and now the nanoSIM.

What's next? Integrated SoIP (SIM over Internet Protocol) where you go to AT&T, give them your phone's IMEI and they change your SIM over the network?

Wait, I need to patent this.

2. darster Suspended

Much better idea, you turn your phone on, in settings you search for available networks, and choose which one you wish to use. No sim cards. Bypass having to sign contracts, etc. You have a phone number that you can move from network to network for any 30 day period or more if you wish. Your choice, real competition, and better service.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Apple tried to get a eSim of the ground but was met with resistance from the providers.
    I wish they succeeded, changing SIM for people who travel a lot is a pain, although the iPhone makes it a lot easier than some other phones where the SIM is under the battery.

4. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

I prefer a SIM under the battery because then I can actually replace a battery and put a new one, without charging it every 5 seconds.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Who really cares.

(and not to OP - is it that hard to use a few more words and post a DESCRIPTIVE TITLE?)

6. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Lol, you mean CDMA esn numbers?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I really like having sims and be able to swap and switch them.
    I wouldnt want to deal with dialing numbers and stuff like CDMA old phones did.
    I like to be able to go to the corner store, pick up a sim. Use it, recharge it. Throw it away, get a new number. Take my sim out, put it in the old phone and get instant service etc..

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I remember my old BB Curve, takes ages to boot up after changing the SIM, glad I have an iPhone now.

In many countries when you get a prepaid SIM you still have to dial a number or send an SMS to activate so eSIM or SIM would make little difference.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think its a toll free number you have to dial in some countries to activate the sim for security purposes.
    I think its still nice and easy to have sims than having to deal with ESN's and phone numbers to dial and prompts like *##082# like on CDMA carriers.
    Who wants to remember that instead of just switching a tiny sim.

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Sure, it is always free to activate the new SIM.

I think actually there are a lot of users here from the states who never had prepaid SIM cards, SIM or eSIM would make no difference whatsoever.

The only thing that prevents eSIM's are the providers, they don't want you to go to a different provider for obvious reasons.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting. I also heard its the providers that opposed it the most.
    But if the phone is still locked for example or you're still under contract you still wont be able to go to another provider and use it.

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You want to know what's next?

Not looking at your phone. Being able to get the same amount of information that you currently do from your iPhone without actually looking at it, or taking it out of your pocket, or touching your phone at all.

That's what is next.

13. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

This world is getting lazier everyday!!!!

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

True, if the phone is still locked, what difference does it make to them if it uses SIM or eSIM?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    Transfer info/data from your phone and communicate it to your brain telepathically.
    Sign me up for a preorder of that iphone:D

16. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

True, my opinion is that there should be no locks at all on phones(and no contracts), there are quite a few countries where it is illegal to lock phones, rightfully so.
    They lock it so they can squeeze more money out of you, especially the States are good at it.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    What is the point of locking the actual phone when you are locking me into a 2 year contract anyway? If I want to get out I will pay the ETF but for those 24 months that Im paying you how come I cant use my phone any way I want to?
    Outside the US on trips with other prepaid gsm sims etc...
    Doesnt make much sense. At least in the US they did started unlocking iphones now.
    For over 4 years there was no unlocking an iphone at all in with AT&T.

18. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Actually there is, if your phone is locked and you go oversees you can only roam and the provider makes more money from you.( Not included in contract)
    Getting a prepaid is MUCH cheaper than roaming though.

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Sort of like that. Such a feature would be like the Google goggles. But I really believe that the new killer features of mobile devices will be a revolution in hands-free operation.

I look forward to Apple's implementation of Google goggles.