What's OS X Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cRz, Dec 23, 2011.

1. cRz macrumors newbie

For boot camp it says I need that or something? I don't know.. I just purchased a brand new Macbook Pro 13'inch late 2011. How do I get BootCamp. Do I already have everything i need?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

OS X Lion is the system that your MacBook Pro runs on (like how a PC runs on Windows). In the top right hand corner when you log in, there is a magnifying glass icon. Click on that and type in "Boot Camp Assistant" and press enter when it appears in the list. That will guide you through the steps to also install Windows on your computer.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. cRz thread starter macrumors newbie

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Pay to play. Boot Camp is part of Mac OS X, which comes on every Mac. You need to buy a copy of Windows to install in Boot Camp.

6. cRz thread starter macrumors newbie

where do you get a windows

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Any store that sells computer stuff. Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

8. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I don't understand why you purchased a mac if your intentions was to run windows. You could have gotten a good laptop that could run the games you intend to play. Based on your questions I am assuming you are new to computers in general which makes me think a mac was the wrong place to start.

Depending on the game there may be a mac alternative. Steam has a mac section you can go through to see what you can play and what you can't.

The 13" pro won't handle games too great anyway as it has the integrated intel GPU which means it is pretty bare bones in terms of gaming. You won't get too great of performance even in Windows.

I am sorry to say but you would have been MUCH better off with a laptop already running windows if your primary purpose is gaming.

The only way I would ever recommend the Air or the 13" Pro models is for someone who just wants a Mac or wants a more portable Mac for work purposes. If that isn't your intentions there are some really good laptops in the $1200-1500 range.

EDIT: Keep in mind I am saying this if your primary purpose is to run windows on the mac. If you are installing windows to run certain applications or to test certain things/compatibility reasons... well that is perfectly acceptable.

9. cRz thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course I am only getting windows to use certain applications.
    I've had windows for a long time, window laptops and windows desktops, and I just wanted to try Mac out. nbd