What's replacing iTunes for backing up i Devices?

Discussion in 'macOS Catalina (10.15)' started by DBZmusicboy01, Jun 3, 2019.

1. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

The device will appear in the Finder sidebar under Locations. All the usual syncing options and tabs will show there.

2. melancholy macrumors 6502

melancholy

It’s not there. I can’t find it. Where so you find it?

3. toru173 macrumors 6502

If you plug your phone in, select ‘pair’ and authorise the computer it pops right up - at least, it did for me

4. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Does it give you any additional options of where to back up beyond what iTunes did? Or does it have to back up to your Mac (versus being able to select an external HD)?

5. toru173 macrumors 6502

I haven’t tried backing up the device as I don’t have much room on the partition I use for testing. I presume it still just goes into ~/Library/MobileSync, though

6. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Killerbob

And what about WiFi devices, i.e. I do not sync my iPhone and iPad plugged in, but rather via WiFi. Do they still show up in the Finder sidebar?

7. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

I want to know this as well.... I have iTunes Wifi sync because its fantastically easy - what happens to this?

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Wi-Fi syncing is still there.

It's literally the entire "device" view that was in iTunes, but in a Finder window instead of iTunes. Nothing removed as far as I can see.

9. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

Is this based on a screenshot or using 10.15? Just out of curiosity - I couldn't see wifi syncing in the screenshot I saw!

10. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

I always use iTunes for backups and sync . If I want to add photos , music , movies . In that case must I sync with each new app ?
    OTOH , I mostly use personal sounds for notifications . How should I do that and where ?

11. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    You not having enough room on your partition is exactly why I wish they'd add native support for backing up to external HD!

I've got a MBP with 256 GB and an iPhone with 256 GB. Backups aren't going to happen locally without terminal hacks, which I can do but have never been entirely comfortable with.

12. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

You should be able to do a symbolic link to a folder on an external drive.