Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Does it give you any additional options of where to back up beyond what iTunes did? Or does it have to back up to your Mac (versus being able to select an external HD)?

I haven’t tried backing up the device as I don’t have much room on the partition I use for testing. I presume it still just goes into ~/Library/MobileSync, though

Reactions: swingerofbirch

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
And what about WiFi devices, i.e. I do not sync my iPhone and iPad plugged in, but rather via WiFi. Do they still show up in the Finder sidebar?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
And what about WiFi devices, i.e. I do not sync my iPhone and iPad plugged in, but rather via WiFi. Do they still show up in the Finder sidebar?

I want to know this as well.... I have iTunes Wifi sync because its fantastically easy - what happens to this?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I want to know this as well.... I have iTunes Wifi sync because its fantastically easy - what happens to this?

Wi-Fi syncing is still there.

It's literally the entire "device" view that was in iTunes, but in a Finder window instead of iTunes. Nothing removed as far as I can see.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Wi-Fi syncing is still there.

It's literally the entire "device" view that was in iTunes, but in a Finder window instead of iTunes. Nothing removed as far as I can see.

Is this based on a screenshot or using 10.15? Just out of curiosity - I couldn't see wifi syncing in the screenshot I saw!

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
I always use iTunes for backups and sync . If I want to add photos , music , movies . In that case must I sync with each new app ?
OTOH , I mostly use personal sounds for notifications . How should I do that and where ?

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I haven’t tried backing up the device as I don’t have much room on the partition I use for testing. I presume it still just goes into ~/Library/MobileSync, though
You not having enough room on your partition is exactly why I wish they'd add native support for backing up to external HD!

I've got a MBP with 256 GB and an iPhone with 256 GB. Backups aren't going to happen locally without terminal hacks, which I can do but have never been entirely comfortable with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.