What's safer for a 'flawless model'? In-store purchase or online order?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2contagious, Apr 20, 2010.

1. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Hi!

After four 17" Macbook Pros with screen issues and getting a refund, I was wondering if it might be a better idea to order one online? If it's a built-to-order model, do they 'check' it more thoroughly or is it still safer to buy in store?

see you,
    2c

2. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

Nope, they don't check it more thoroughly and you'll have to deal with the pain of mailing it back to Apple instead :)

3. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

So I take it.. BTO models are not refundable / exchangeable at apple stores? Would be much more convenient :(

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

DOAs happen, it's not as if any method decreases the likelihood.

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

Ultimately both come from the same exact source so it doesn't matter, but if you order (at least a BTO model) then it'll be freshly built so you won't get any old stock that you may find at a store. I went through two laptops with similar problems and they were built roughly around the same time. The third one was newer and it was nearly flawless. On the other hand, exchanging is much easier at the store.

My BTO MBP has been great in terms of initial quality.

6. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. All laptops are mass produced & these things happen. Remember they are all built to the same standard, therfore it doesn't matter where you buy it. I'm sure you'll have a good experience this time.

Cheers...:)

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Correct. Apple Retail Stores and the Apple Online Store are basically two separately run Apple companies.