what's so bad about dragging text? (textmate,coda)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by cutcopypaste, Jun 11, 2009.

1. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

I've been trying out Coda and TextMate based on a number of glowing comments... but I'm really confused about something. I can't select text and move it without cut/paste-ing it in both programs... Why not? Is moving text around something that only newbs need to do? I don't mean to sound so sarcastic, but it seems like pretty basic text editing functionality and I was really surprised that both those programs wouldn't let me do it.. is there some trick I'm missing?
    I just installed the demo for Espresso and it lets me drag text, which is nice.. also loving the navigator and collapsing options..

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

ironic that you're complaining, considering your username ;-)

I don't have Coda, but dragging text works for me in TextMate. Are you waiting long enough before you drag after holding the mouse button (or trackpad button) ?

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

4. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

lol.. clearly i was NOT waiting long enough. both programs do do it.. I'm just used to word processing programs that don't require any wait times at all and in my mad frenzy to get 'er done, didn't exhibit the necessary patience.

btw is there a setting to change that delay? it seems a bit too long to me right now

5. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I just use keyboard short cuts to move and copy text. For two reasons, a) it's faster and b) it's minimizes mistakes. The reason there is a delay is because 99.99% of the time people are highlighting text rather than moving it.

6. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

i dunno where you got those stats from lol. in windows there's no delay before dragging text and i have NEVER that i can remember been irritated or perturbed by that behaviour. it would be great if you could reduce the delay it's a beat too long for me right now.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There doesn't seem to be any needed delay for me for dragging highlighted text. I don't have Coda or Textmate though to try in. I use BBEdit. This seems to work in all the apps I have open currently though.

8. cutcopypaste thread starter macrumors regular

seems to be program specific, as there's no delay in word.. but there is in most apps it seems. weird i never noticed this before..