What's so bad about iMovie '08?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by maclover001, Dec 26, 2008.

1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I have an HD camcorder that I use alot. Up until now, I have been using iMovie '06 to edit, because I have read that '08 has been dumbed down way too much.

Today I decided to give iMovie '08 a try. You can skim through your clips and drag what you want in the movie area, you can add titles, make songs fade in and out, and place sounds exactly where you want them, it's almost like a timeline interface.

What is so bad about iMovie 08 compared to 06?

Attached Files:

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I use Final Cut Pro to do all of my editing but I think that iMovie is a great application to edit or manage/view home movies. It is also great for the amateur videographer/filmmaker. I think it has an incredible, easy-to-use interface. I tough my mom and sisters how to use it (my dad and I use Final Cut Pro) and they are constantly taking movies from Photo Booth or from their cameras and editing them and posting them on YouTube.:D I dont see why people rant on and on about how iMovie stinks. I think it's a great *free application.

*You do have to buy a Mac.:D

3. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Most of the complaints are generally about three general issues:
    1. The move from a standard timeline of iMovie HD to the clip view of iMovie '08
    2. The stripping of video effects from iMovie '08
    3. The absence of anything more than very basic audio controls - though iMovie '08 and GarageBand work pretty well together for audio editing.
    But if it does the job for you, then there's nothing wrong with it from your perspective.

Andrew.

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

1. The move from a standard timeline of iMovie HD to the clip view of iMovie '08
    2. The stripping of video effects from iMovie '08
    3. The absence of anything more than very basic audio controls - though iMovie '08 and GarageBand work pretty well together for audio editing.

These are all things that my mom and sisters have no need for and that Final Cut Pro, Motion, After Effects, Photoshop Extended, and Color provide for me.

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Personally, I use both iMovie'06 and '08. I prefer the working enviroment of '06, but I really love the Library feature of '08.

6. Deomitrus macrumors member

Working with FCP and Premiere, it took me a very long time to learn how to do basic things in iMovie 08. Funny how that works. :p But after I finished my project I actually thought iMovie 08 was pretty good, and would gladly recommend it to anyone who wanted to do some basic editing.

7. Mattaut macrumors regular

iMovie can get buggy sometimes, but what can you expect from an app that was free/cheap.