What's so great about a cover with automatic sleep/wake?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jackc, Mar 13, 2012.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

It seems like such an unnecessary feature to me, it takes virtually zero effort to hit the sleep button, and you can make sure it's asleep/awake when you want it to be. And people are judging cases by whether it has it.

Before you flame me, people should by all means enjoy this feature if they like it.

2. oli356 macrumors 6502

I like the idea a lot. Yes it takes like no effort to hit the power button. But it's less effort.. And anyway, for folio cases the magnets are a way of keeping the lid down.

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

Have you ever tried it? It's pretty sweet. Open the cover and your iPad is ready to go.

4. M87 macrumors 65816

5. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

It's nice because if you already have a cover and it simultaneously starts it, it's one less step. Do you use a cover??? And are you a fan of hugh laurie b/c I love him :D

Like opening your car door and having it automatically start. Ok thats dangerous if someone robs your car lol.

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I think it's an awesome feature. When I had my iPad 2 before I sold it a couple days ago, I used it partially as e-reader. When starting a book, I would always take off the cover and hold it in place on the back, like you would normally with a book. And then when you're done reading, just flip back the cover and then it's gone. It's an automatic action. It also ensures that there won't be time the screen would be turned on when placed elsewhere. The cover ensures that the iPad that the iPad can't be used right now.

7. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Speaking of the Laurie, I think he'd make a great Steve Jobs, don't you think? :apple:

8. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

You are right!!! I want an auto-biographically movie now!!! :D Did steve write his own book that they can turn into a movie?

9. MS2083 macrumors regular

I really don't like the Smar Covers since it doesn't protect the back... im going with the inCase cover this time around!

10. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

This isn't about smart covers...

11. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

this is one of the nicest features since this was introduced with the ipad2. aside from the convenience, it likely translates into longer term reliability as most mechanical issues with the computing devices are the physical moving parts. after you enable multi-gestures, you'll rarely have to hit any buttons on the ipad.

what's not to love and appreciate about it?!

12. mlynchmob16 macrumors regular

It is a convenience thing. When you open your refrigerator the light automatically turns on for convenience.

It does also save power when not in use. Those extra precious seconds of unnecessary backlight before it auto sleeps.

13. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Several reasons.

1. Yes, it's easy to push a button. It's also very easy to forget to push a button. This really sucks if you haven't enabled the Auto-Lock feature.

2. Think of it like a book. With a cover, your initial reaction once you're done with your iPad is to close the cover. And voila, sleep mode for your iPad, and you save battery life.

3. A cover protects the glass screen of the iPad, the most easily damageable and sensitive part of the iPad. So a cover that aesthetically looks nice, protects the screen, and provides automatic sleep/wake? Win.

4. Convenience really. Plus it's cool. :cool:

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its a convenience. I wouldn't enjoy my iPad less without it, but it sure is noce to have.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective matter. I don't find it to be all that. YMMV as with anything subjective.

Why wouldn't people assess products based on their needs/wants? If you don't agree then read between the lines. Always consider the source.

16. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

Well - since iPad2 I'm able to set the automatic standby to 5 minutes or more, so it doesn't bug me when typing in a meeting, going constantly off after 1 minute (which was my default standby timer - you don't want to waste battery, right?).

When I'm done I just close the front cover and no battery wasted.

Sure I could push a button - no problem with that. But this is just so much more convenient and a kind of natural function, as I use a folio case - makes the iPad a super sweet sketchbook!

Also no worries of accidentally wasting 0,0001% battery charge, if the button gets pushed while the iPad is in my bag *cough*...

And in the end - magnetic on/off paved the way for magnetic closure folio cases, which are great!

17. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

That's cool, I don't have an iPad yet so I was just wondering.

18. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Well yeah, it's a feature that takes little effort to implement - just put some magnets in the case cover. If a cover doesn't have it, that's just laziness, and it's an iPad feature you wouldn't be able to use.

19. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Since you do not have to press the home button as often, I'd like to think it's 'saving' my precious home button ;)

20. homeboy macrumors 6502

Once you've had a smart cover, you can't imagine life without it. It's a very neat trick.