What's so great about a cover with automatic sleep/wake?

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
It seems like such an unnecessary feature to me, it takes virtually zero effort to hit the sleep button, and you can make sure it's asleep/awake when you want it to be. And people are judging cases by whether it has it.

Before you flame me, people should by all means enjoy this feature if they like it.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
I like the idea a lot. Yes it takes like no effort to hit the power button. But it's less effort.. And anyway, for folio cases the magnets are a way of keeping the lid down.

7even

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2008
Have you ever tried it? It's pretty sweet. Open the cover and your iPad is ready to go.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2012
It's nice because if you already have a cover and it simultaneously starts it, it's one less step. Do you use a cover??? And are you a fan of hugh laurie b/c I love him :D

Like opening your car door and having it automatically start. Ok thats dangerous if someone robs your car lol.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I think it's an awesome feature. When I had my iPad 2 before I sold it a couple days ago, I used it partially as e-reader. When starting a book, I would always take off the cover and hold it in place on the back, like you would normally with a book. And then when you're done reading, just flip back the cover and then it's gone. It's an automatic action. It also ensures that there won't be time the screen would be turned on when placed elsewhere. The cover ensures that the iPad that the iPad can't be used right now.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
It's nice because if you already have a cover and it simultaneously starts it, it's one less step. Do you use a cover??? And are you a fan of hugh laurie b/c I love him :D

Like opening your car door and having it automatically start. Ok thats dangerous if someone robs your car lol.
Speaking of the Laurie, I think he'd make a great Steve Jobs, don't you think? :apple:

MS2083

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
California
I really don't like the Smar Covers since it doesn't protect the back... im going with the inCase cover this time around!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
this is one of the nicest features since this was introduced with the ipad2. aside from the convenience, it likely translates into longer term reliability as most mechanical issues with the computing devices are the physical moving parts. after you enable multi-gestures, you'll rarely have to hit any buttons on the ipad.

what's not to love and appreciate about it?!

It seems like such an unnecessary feature to me, it takes virtually zero effort to hit the sleep button, and you can make sure it's asleep/awake when you want it to be. And people are judging cases by whether it has it.

Before you flame me, people should by all means enjoy this feature if they like it.

mlynchmob16

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
Dublin, OH
It is a convenience thing. When you open your refrigerator the light automatically turns on for convenience.

It does also save power when not in use. Those extra precious seconds of unnecessary backlight before it auto sleeps.

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
Several reasons.

1. Yes, it's easy to push a button. It's also very easy to forget to push a button. This really sucks if you haven't enabled the Auto-Lock feature.

2. Think of it like a book. With a cover, your initial reaction once you're done with your iPad is to close the cover. And voila, sleep mode for your iPad, and you save battery life.

3. A cover protects the glass screen of the iPad, the most easily damageable and sensitive part of the iPad. So a cover that aesthetically looks nice, protects the screen, and provides automatic sleep/wake? Win.

4. Convenience really. Plus it's cool. :cool:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
What's so great about a cover with automatic sleep/wake?
Subjective matter. I don't find it to be all that. YMMV as with anything subjective.

And people are judging cases by whether it has it.
Why wouldn't people assess products based on their needs/wants? If you don't agree then read between the lines. Always consider the source.

Deedolito

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
Well - since iPad2 I'm able to set the automatic standby to 5 minutes or more, so it doesn't bug me when typing in a meeting, going constantly off after 1 minute (which was my default standby timer - you don't want to waste battery, right?).

When I'm done I just close the front cover and no battery wasted.

Sure I could push a button - no problem with that. But this is just so much more convenient and a kind of natural function, as I use a folio case - makes the iPad a super sweet sketchbook!

Also no worries of accidentally wasting 0,0001% battery charge, if the button gets pushed while the iPad is in my bag *cough*...

And in the end - magnetic on/off paved the way for magnetic closure folio cases, which are great!

jackc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2003
That's cool, I don't have an iPad yet so I was just wondering.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008

Well yeah, it's a feature that takes little effort to implement - just put some magnets in the case cover. If a cover doesn't have it, that's just laziness, and it's an iPad feature you wouldn't be able to use.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2012
Since you do not have to press the home button as often, I'd like to think it's 'saving' my precious home button ;)