Whats so much better about iphone then droid?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mixum, Oct 23, 2010.

1. mixum macrumors newbie

im just curious as i own an iphone 4 but my gf has the droid incredible which seems just as good. maybe even better apps that come with phone. im jusy curious.

2. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Why is Pepsi so much better thank Coke?
    Why is green so much prettier than red?

It's all opinion and nothing more.

Fanboys on both sides will fight to the death on the issue, but they might as well fight over what the best color is. It's that stupid of an argument.

3. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Each have their advantages and disadvantages, it just boils down to personal preference.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Actually, that's a very good post.

5. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Personally, I like the hardware of the iPhone 4 a lot better. Very small and compact considering it is just as powerful as a top-of-the-line Droid. And then there is the App Store that has so many more apps to choose from. I'm a hard-core gamer and whenever a really good iPhone game comes out (Game Dev Story is the latest craze) the iPhone and iPod touch crowd talks it up while the Droid crowd complains that they need to port more apps to the Droid store. :rolleyes:

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Marketing.
    Devs seem to write programs for the iPhone. Droid has a few flavors that apparently need a little tweaking to run between platforms.
    My wife tolerates the iPhone but she thinks it's the worst phone she has had.
    Her friend has a galaxy and as a phone it is much better.

If verizon is going to get the iPhone it may yield some interesting insight

7. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

User interface and iTunes (if you are using the Mac version). I detest the user interface on the 'droids.

8. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

This is it for me as well. The overall user interface is very well integrated into the phone and makes doing what I want to do easy and intuitive. I can tolerate the shortcomings I perceive in IOS in exchange for these advantages.

9. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

My husband has a droid, I had a droid eris before I got my iphone 4. The widgets and stuff on droid are neat, but the user interface seems to lag alot more than the iphones. I prefer the iphone very much. It all comes down to personal preference and the problems you as a user have with each phone. If you get a lemon iphone, you're gonna hate it, especially if it's the first iphone you've ever had. Same with the droid.

10. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

Hate to say it, but part of it is the culture that Apple has created too.

I know that as an iPod Touch user, I frequently share and compare new apps with my friends (and their iPhones), and can really pick up anyone's phone or iPod and operate it without hesitation. The commonality of everyone using the App Store is sort of like eating at the same restaurant: you may order different things, but everyone shares in the environment and the experience together.

I haven't gone Droid because it doesn't combine my iPod Touch and a phone into one device (which would be the only reason for me to upgrade at this point). Because of my iTunes music collection and my already-substantial investment in Apple's apps, there's really only one upgrade that makes sense. I'll have an iPhone soon.

11. zephxiii macrumors 6502

I dunno but I enjoy the android interface more as it is more interesting and let's me do more things, iOS is very boring to me. I would like to see android get a lil smoother although a lot of that depends on the hardware.

12. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

One guy that i know today got his galaxy with android, and wanted to try 3G internet, so tried to find out how to turn on 3G about for 10minutes..

Personally, I hate android like linux on computers, because you have to *uck with device to make it work or to install something, while iOS/Windows you need to push couple of buttons (touches for iOS).

13. err404 macrumors 68020

They are far more similar then different. The fighting ground is mostly philosophical banter on a "walled garden" vs "wild west" approach. The problem is that these arguments have very little impact on users. By and large users of both platforms can perform the tasks they need in a relatively efficient and polished environment.

14. Catonow macrumors regular

Sorry, but this isn't nearly as astute as some here seem to think. It can be said about virtually every debate. More than that, it's completely unhelpful.

15. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Preference or not, I had an iPhone 3GS. Then went to Sprint for the EVO. Now, I'm back (two ETFs later) to the iPhone 4.

My reason? Battery life. Android has a looooong way to go before the battery life even comes close to touching the iPhone/iOS optimization. Every time I turned on my EVO display and used my phone for a few minutes, I had to ensure I was close to a plug (or had a plan for more juice in a short while). That's no fun.

16. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Nothing The iPhone came out in 2007 it doesn't even have 3G and you have to jailbreak it to video multitasking. Poor camera no video slow the list goes on and on. Why would anyone ask this question?

LoL

17. wyneken macrumors regular

Yeah, that's true. I would rephrase the same point something like this:

It's not so much a question of one platform being better than the other. Each has its strong points and its loyal users. Still, they differ in important (and not always obvious) ways. They seem to appeal to different types of people, just like early "microcomputers" attracted different sets of users 30 years ago, even though from a technical standpoint it was hard to argue that, say, the Apple II was "better" than a machine running CP/M.

Case in point: Apple products, for one reason or another, have always appealed especially to artists, writers, designers, musicians and the like. I presume such people respond to the company's obsessive commitment to beautiful design. But even this point is arguable. I remember when most of the writers I knew were buying Macs, but the science fiction writers were not only buying MS-DOS machines, they were willing to fight you over it. I formed the habit back then of keeping my mouth shut as a matter of self-preservation. Nobody wanted Jerry Pournelle ramming a broomstick up their, you know.

It continues into the present. Some people love, and I mean love, almost everything Jonny Ive sets his hand to. And it's not because we're "sheeple" who have succumbed to Apple hype. Other people enjoy the excitement and the open possibilities that Android offers. I respect that. But these are not just matters of taste; they are very real responses to different products by people with different personality types. In some murky but undeniable way, there are iOS people and there are Android people, and the two sets are not equal or interchangeable. You probably know who you are, if you've found your way to this forum.

Case in point 2, or Why I Love My iPhone More Than Beer Itself: the whole "iPhoneography" scene. This is one of those things that happen when artistic/creative types flock en masse to the same place at the same time. There is no inherent reason there couldn't be an equally lively and burgeoning equivalent to this phenomenon on the Android side, with high-profile exhbitions of Android-created photographs in major cities across the world. But there just isn't. And there never is going to be. It has nothing to do with one platform being "better." It's because artists buy Apple, and developers who understand artists develop first and foremost for iOS, and that's just they way it is.

Probably there's some corollary. Like maybe developers who understand, say, hackers and do-it-yourself types develop primarily for Android. (And don't make much money, because hackers and DIYers don't like to pay for things if they can figure out sone clever way around it, which usually they can.)

I can't do much for myself except write books and take pictures and garden, with an occasional foray into the culinary arts, and even then I'd happily pay someone to wash the dishes. I am a total mark for iOS. I've spent roughly one gazillion dollars at the App Store ($1.99 at a time) and I thoroughly enjoy it. But I don't expect the world to be full of people like me. That would be kind of boring.

18. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

I like the iPhone because it makes me appear to be shallow and a hipster. So people pay more attention to my clothes and ask me where I got them. Example: "Ooo, I like that purse, where did you get it?"

If I had an android system phone people would think I was a guy. Typical conversation: "Huh, what do you like for gaming, dude?"

Now, if I had a Blackberry, people would think that I was a guy who was an MBA but really wanted to be a hipster and probably had a Harley which I rode on weekends only with 2 other guys from the Accounting Department.

19. Nippur macrumors newbie

I know Android just from friend's phones, but I'm new to iOS coming from Windows 6.5 :eek:... always had to be searching xda forums to get things to work properly on my old HTC and take the risk to brick the phone everytime, and I can tell you only this: iPhone is the best smartphone I've ever used and I think the main difference could be the one between having a device to make calls and enjoy actual content to having a device to to make calls and temper with.

Both approaches are valid in my opinion, but I grew somewhat tired of having to temper with software to make it work properly.

I sacrifice the "freedom" (actually is freedom to customize) in order to easily enjoy more content...and a beautiful piece of hardware, that is.