What's so special about an untethered JB?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Jinkst, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Jinkst macrumors regular

I always see comments such as "when will they come out with an untethered jailbreak" or "I'll wait for the untethered version."

Why?!

Am I missing something here? Whats so hard about plugging your iPhone/iPod/iPad into a USB port on a computer to perform a jailbreak?

I'm assuming I've got this all wrong and it's indeed an important feature to have an untethered jailbreak, but right now I'm just not understanding it.

Anyone care to lend a few words of advice?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Some people don't like to worry about the issues that come with jailbreaking(lack of warranty, possible stability issues, etc)

I'm not saying people shouldn't jailbreak, but there is the idea for many that an Apple supported solution is most likely going to be more solid, and there isn't the risk that you'll lose that feature when Apple upgrades the OS, and jailbreakers need to catch up.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

^^^
    I have no idea what this has to do with the OP's question, other than speaking about the hazards of jailbreaking in and of itself.

The problem with a tethered jailbreak is this:

You're at work. Somehow your iPhone reboots (it happens). Or your phone dies and needs to be recharged. Guess what? You're stuck with no phone until you get to your computer at home.

You're on a trip. Same as above, but you're stuck with no phone until you return from your trip.

Of course, if you have a laptop with you that has redsn0w or blackra1n on it and you have it with you when this happens, you can get around all this, but what a PITA to have to have that all the time.

4. Jinkst thread starter macrumors regular

Ha that's what I was thinking. I've already been jail broken for awhile, no point preaching the hazards now.

The rest of your post does make a good point. It's not 100% necessary for myself really as I've always got access to another phone if necessary but it does make sense.

5. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

my phone dies on me yesterday, and i had to wait an extra 4 hours until i got home to get it started again {left m,y car charger in my other car}.

also, if you install something from cydia, and it tells you to reboot your phone....and you don't KNOW it will ask you to reboot until it has been installed.....IE: LUCKILY i was home the other night when i reinstalled proswitcher and backgrounder. i didn't know i had to reboot.....turns out i had to hook it up to the computer to get it back started. i was expecting it to say either "restart springboard" or just "return to cydia". caught me by surprise.

If i was on my way to work on the train, and i happened to see a new app in cydia, installed it, then got "reboot phone", i'd be screwed out of a phone for the entire day.....it would be SOOOOO much easier to just reboot it when needed and start back up like it's suposed to....

6. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Not having a phone until you can unbrick it at a computer is a pretty big problem.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

What? How in the world is this relevant to the OP?