Whats so special about Power Support films?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JROC453, Jul 27, 2010.

1. JROC453 macrumors regular

I have been using SGP steinheil ex ultra crystal screen protector for about a month now. I am very happy with it. I have no bubbles. All the cuts seem to be dead on. It still feels like the glass. Why is everyone talking so much about Power Support? I cant find anything on their website that talks about the technology behind their product. They have a pre film??? Whats this? Why would I want to switch to Power Support?

2. rmul86 macrumors 6502

REASONS WHY POWER SUPPORT CRYSTAL FILMS ARE BETTER:
    1. Easier to Install

2. No adhesive means you can reuse and remove them as many times as you want

3. It is a hard polyeurathane (forgive my spelling) like material as opposed to SGP's soft film. I don't care what soft film you are using, you will never be able to replicated the "glass like" feel of Power Support's hard film

4. You literally have no idea you even have a Power Support film on, it's that unnoticeable. This film perfectly replicates the screen's touch, feel, and vividness unlike any I've ever seen.

Now don't get me wrong, SGP has a fine product...Perhaps the best soft adhesive film out there from what I've heard. But these soft adhesive films don't do it for me. You picked a good product, but we all have different opinions. I go with Power Support.

3. OC513 macrumors 6502

The PS films are as close to the iPhone glass as I have ever seen in a screen protector. They are hard and do not scratch easily. I have had them on all my iPhones and love them. Can't wait to get the new ones for the iPhone4 to replace the crappy CaseMate protector I have on it now. The pre installation film is just like a piece of tape to get all dust and debris off the glass before installing the protector.

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

If your SGP is staying attached to the screen then there's no need to change from the EX Ultra Crystal.

PS has been making a good thick smooth clear film for some time now.

5. Hennesie2000 macrumors 68000

Do not listen to this poster... every reason he has given is completely wrong.

1. Install of SGP and PS is exactly the same process.

2. SGP and PS films do not use and adhesive... no dry install film does.

3. SGP is not a soft film... it is hard just like the PS films. I think you are confusing ZAGG with SGP.

4. With a good SGP install you cannot tell the film is there at all.

I have always used PS films and since they weren't out or ready for pre-order so I got a set of the SGP EX front and back. I have a very steady hand and have never had problems installing a PS film in the past but the SGP films gave me trouble. The SGP films do seem to have tighter cutout tolerances which I like but they dont seem to stick as well and quality seems to be different between each film. I have since ordered a set of the PS films now that they are available.

Out of four SGP films the back film I install on my phone has one corner that will not stick and it wont stick around the camer and flash but the back I put of my wife's was perfect. The front film on mine is perfect but my wife's bubbled around the edges like crazy. There was no oil on any of the surfaces because I used rubber gloves to install and I literally had just pulled the phones out of the box and removed the packaging.

If you are happy with the SGP film.. then stick with it. I like the look of mine its just it doesn't seem to be staying adhered to the front and back.

6. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

There are TONS companies and people that sell these "films" for $1.00 and you get the exact same quality as power support but finding them is a crap shoot.

EVERYONE ultimately gets them from the same few places that produce them in china, these places offer a variety of quality and options. Its up to the "buyer" to shell out the extra couple cents to buy the good ones. There are not secret development labs that one company has to produce some incredible film over another.

Just going with power support you know what you get, which are the higher quality ones. But you pay and INSANE premium. Like a 2000% markup.

Simple as that.

7. rmul86 macrumors 6502

1. You are wrong...SGP and PS are NOT the exact same process...
    2. SGP DOES have an adhesive, and yes many "dry install" films do have adhesive...that's how it sticks onto the glass. PS uses NO ADHESIVE, it uses the atsmosphere's pressure to stay put nicely.
    3. Since when has SGP not been a soft film? PS is a hard film.
    4. With PS, there is absolutely no way you can tell the film is there.

8. cmascatello macrumors member

1. The SGP Ultra Crystal is a dry-install static cling film. PS films are the same.
    2. SGP has the Incredilbe Shield line that is an adhesive-attachment wet-install film.
    3. See above. I would guess that the SGP Incredibles are soft. I can attest (as a long-time PS user) that the Ultra Crystal is a hard film. In fact, at 4H surface hardness, I think it might be a tad harder than the PS.
    4. I have the EX on my iPhone 4 and it is not noticeable at all.

9. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Never tried SGP's screen shields but I did just install SwitchEasy's stock screen and they are not even smooth if you look at them from an angle, plus they have a rainbow colors effect which PS does not.
    It's almost like a full on double rainbow.. All the way.

10. rmul86 macrumors 6502

I agree with everything you said...except where you say it's a "dry-install static cling film." The SGP website even says it has a "Non-tacky adhesive" Look it up, it does have an adhesive. Also, Power Support offers back protection where SGP does not have back protection for it's Ultra Crystal line.

11. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

The EX Ultra Crystal is a full body set so there are back protectors included. There is an Ultra Crystal Screen Protector package but that is different and doesn't include anything for the back.

12. cmascatello macrumors member

Have you actually had one in your hands and installed it? I have, and I can tell you with no uncertainty that it is the same installation method (static) as PS. Keep in mind that these are imported films from Asia being sold by a small wholesale/brokerage company in LA (with every employee with whom I have had contact being of Asian descent) -- I would not get too caught up in the semantics and fine details that can be lost in translation. Anyone who has received the emails from SGP re: the replacement Back Films for the Ultra EX set can attest to the quality of English being less than perfect in language, grammar and syntax. FWIW, the films can be cleaned and reapplied in the EXACT same manner as PS -- that is why the folks in the "wet-install" threads for SGP films are having some success.

The Ultra EX sets come with both front and back skins.

13. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

Actually, the first guy was right. It uses a type of adhesive, but it doesn't leave any residue or anything. The installation process is the same even though the method of sticking is different. I have taken an SGP Anti-Fingerprint film completely off of my iPad and re-installed it with no issues.

14. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Well, I like Power Support because the film is definitely unnoticeable. You can't see it (no orange peel effect or anything like that) and it feels like the glass.

It doesn't scratch easily but it can get scratched. I have scratched mine after 2 years of use. There is also a weird bubble in the middle where something pricked the film (there's a small indentation and then a bubble around it). However, the film is not peeling and still feels and looks good, aside from the aforementioned issues.

Is it the BEST film? Probably not, but it's a good film and I'd buy it again.

15. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

That's incorrect.

Most of the companies that sell film—the vast majority, really—buy the material from Chinese factories that are willing to churn cut pieces out at very low prices, guaranteeing high profits while skimping on quality. Almost every case that comes with free film uses Chinese stuff. The consequential issues we see most often are prismatic effects, or rainbow glittering on the screen, and edges that are either cut too precisely or not precisely enough to the curves and holes on a given device’s face. If the film’s not cut properly, aligning the film on the screen can be difficult, overlapping onto the black plastic edges of the iPhone 4 or iPad screens in a way that makes the film peel off over time. Some film solutions also have unusually large holes that offer too little protection or otherwise look weird after they’ve been applied, no matter how well you’ve installed them.

By comparison, higher-end film is almost invariably made in Japan and a little more expensive as a result: United SGP sources its film from Japan and then finishes it in Korea, while Power Support’s film is purely Japanese. Properly cut film makes alignment easier and the film stays on almost indefinitely. The film is thicker, and consequently more durable, as well as optically superior to the cheaper stuff. We’ve had the same piece of Power Support film on one of our iPads now for three months of very active daily use and it’s in perfect shape...

read more here: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ba...tection-why-it-matters-some-iphone-4-results/

Stick with SGP & Power Support.

16. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

if by atmosphere's pressure you happen to mean static cling, then you are correct, otherwise LOLWTF.

17. glen e macrumors 68030

I agree with everything here. I have owned 7 PS films and love them. But the SGP stuff is the same caliber and neither is better than the other. My SGP stuck flawless and my ipad PS has a a few edges lifiting so again a draw. Most that are touting one or the other have not lived with both.. I now have an SGP Crystal film. It is fine for the use I give it. No need to change.

18. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

You pay for quality when you buy PS or SGP.

The static cling screen films I get free with my cases have all been crap.

19. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Pfft, I'll buy the same quality stuff from my eBay seller....I got 5 front and Backs for $5.....can't beat that, and theyre just as good as PS and SGP, I've been using SGP or PS for a while, but these cheapos I got are just as good, dont pay the bloated prices people!

20. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Link?

21. rmul86 macrumors 6502

I guess you've never been in a science class before...It is also the earth's atmospheric pressure. Here's a video even a 2 year old can understand...

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-put-a-ruler-under-pressure-2

22. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

What cases wont pull up the power support SP? I have the belkin grip vue and speck pixelskin hd and they both pull up my zagg is.

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Your problem is with the Zagg, not the case.

Try PS or SGP EX Ultra Crystal.

24. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I ordered power support but i dont see how it doesnt pull up. The pixelskin hd's front lip is so tight.

25. scriptx macrumors newbie

Powersupport films are Japanese made, hence the consistency and quality over chinese made films. Unless you are a very large company, getting good factory quality out of china is nearly impossible. The lack of chinese quality has actually created a cottage industry in the US for companies that fix large shipments of broken goods.