whats so special about Sept. 30?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vartanarsen, Jul 17, 2010.

1. vartanarsen macrumors 6502a

hi all, this question was deleted from the Apple Forums, so i decided maybe i can post it here:

About September 30??

do you know what Stevie meant by saying after September 30, we will re-evaluate? Does he mean instead of free bumpers, they will start coating with non-conductive polymer on the assembly line? If so, we would be past our 30 day refund window to get a new Coated one........ Should we wait till September 15 to get one, so we have until October 15 to return it, if in case, that is what they decide to do??

2. inket macrumors regular

inket

I think he means that the media would've calmed down and the antennagate turn out to be a non-issue and there for the bumper will not be needed ?

3. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

4. chgojcs macrumors member

Nothing. Probably an arbitrary date.

Why does there have to be some deep seeded meaning in everything? Geez.

5. thales macrumors member

I would be very surprised if they didn't make minor hardware changes to fix the problem. You can't honestly look at all the evidence (on youtube or otherwise) and conclude that antennagate is a media fabrication. Remember how SJ went on and on about the iPad and how you could hold it however you wanted? This is how the iP4 needs to be. It shouldn't need to be held a certain way, and it shouldn't need an aftermarket accessory to function. I'll be holding out until the 30th...

6. thales macrumors member

Because you can't sell a flawed product, admit it is flawed, give away products to remedy the flaw, and then keep on selling the same flawed product going forward without offering a free fix. I'm reasonably certain that there will be a "real" fix at some point before the 30th.

7. chgojcs macrumors member

I never said it wasn't flawed. Jesus H... Just because I am tired of all the hand-wringing over a flipping phone doesn't mean I am unaware or denying the problem.

F**k me!

8. inket macrumors regular

inket

I would be very surprised if they DO hardware changes.
    It would be unfair for already-owners and it would probably lead to a full recall. (which they won't do for a non-issue especially if it costs billions of dollars)

I'd say it's a 1% possibility.

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Perhaps they are waiting for Q4 to open up before issuing an expensive recall... you know, holiday sales to help soak up the blood loss from that recall.... ;)

10. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

I just reserved my IP4.. If suddenly there is some hardware fix post Sep 30 I and 3 million others will feel VERY cheated.

11. thales macrumors member

Friend, I was simply pointing out why I don't feel Sept 30 is some arbitrary date where they will continue selling the same phone but without the same free fix.

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Sounds if basically they are going to review where everything is on that date, that's all. 8/30 would have been too soon for a status of the situation.

13. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  14. thales macrumors member

Since the problem is now transparent, and every single iP4 owner is still entitled to a full return/refund, those who choose to keep their current iP4 will have no right to complain if there is a hardware revision.

15. PerfSeeker macrumors 6502a

If it were doomsday we'd be seeing a rush of people returning their IP4 already. In the AT&T store NOBODY was seen returning their phone in the afternoon rush. What was funny at the T-Mobile store the sales clerk was trying to tell me that the IP4 drops calls and I should REALLY think about some new Android phone I never heard of. :rolleyes:

16. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

My guess:
    1) The iPhone 4s after then will be fixed
    2) The iPhone 4s will include a bumper in the box
    3) Just a day and nothing will happen

17. inket macrumors regular

inket

Yeah, but it would be unfair. It would "destroy" Apple's reputation.

18. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010
  19. kuaiyouming, Jul 17, 2010
  20. bjamison01 macrumors newbie

FWIW - I'm returning my phone now and hedging my bet for this very reason. Last night I watched my iPhone4 repeatedly drop its signal (3 bars to 1) every time I held it in the death grip position WITH A CASE ON (Belkin Grip Vue). I tried to replicate the problem on a iPhone 3G - not only was there no signal attenuation but 3G's signal was dead stronger (5 bars) whether held or not.

To me this is a REAL problem and I can't imagine apple won't attempt some type of hardware fix to at least minimize this problem that many are experiencing.

The thought of paying hundreds of dollars for flawed hardware doesn't sit well with me. Whether its right or wrong, many of us obsess about our gadgets, and like you, I'd be PISSED if I got screwed as an early adopter.

So I'm voting with my check book, waiting until the fall, and then I'm thinking I might pick up a white one instead. Just got the return label from Apple today - and off it goes.

My 2 cents.

21. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Similar experience to you. Had a launch iphone for 3 years - the IP4 is consistently showing lower signal with no regard to how it is held. If I just hold the IP4 like I've done with my launch unit for years now - it goes from 4-5 bars to "NO SIGNAL"...

Then today, I encountered the proximity sensor issue and hung up on someone. My old phone didn't do that ONCE in 3 years.

After hitting "server did not respond" for the 10th time today trying to check the weather (with "full" signal, mind you). (and the phone suggesting I turn airplane mode off???) That was the final nail.

I too am gathering up my box, and receipt for a trip back to where it came...

22. thales macrumors member

They can't not fix the phone. That's the bottom line. What they do for early adopters is up to them. Since everyone already knows about the issue, and all iP4s can still be returned, you really shouldn't feel entitled to a return extension just so you can sit on your hands and see what happens on the 30th. Apple has admitted that there is a design flaw. They will fix the phone. They told everyone explicitly to return their phones if they aren't happy with it. If you decide to keep it, that's on you, not Apple.

23. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

October 1st is the start of the next fiscal year. I'm sure they want this mess wrapped up before then to avoid any fiscal spillage.

24. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

For many companies, Sept 30th is the end of the third fiscal quarter. So that may play a part as to why they want to end it then?

25. kre62 macrumors 68000

Exactly, its the end of Apples fiscal year. They need to make sure they post the numbers so analysts dont adjust their price targets. Many analysts use a dividend discount valuation model that relies on foretasted earnings per share to determine price targets. If the estimates are revised down, the stock price target is revised downwards, and a selloff ensues resulting in the lower price target for the stock.

Apple wants to make sure no one is scared off from buying this thing so they can meet their targets.