HomePod What's taking so long for HomePod v2?

patent10021

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
What's taking so long for HomePod v2?

I guess they're waiting until their AI gets to the point where people won't make fun of it?

Reactions: LiveM

StumpyBloke

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2012
England
What’s AI got to do with HomePod 2 though? Is there even a need for a new revision yet? If they did release a new one I suspect it would only be smaller to make it cheaper. The A8 processor in the current model is more than up to the job for anything right now and the next couple of years I suspect.

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
With the original disappointing in sales, and apparently being sold at a loss (I assume because sales undershot and they're including R&D being split between less units than expected) I wouldn't expect a V2 until they have squeezed every last sale they can out of this one (like how the iPod Touch is currently coasting along).

Reactions: JBaby

GDF

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Don't think there is a need for v2. What would they change? Already a great speaker.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Manchester, NH
I don't think there will be a HomePod v2 anytime soon, at least keeping the same form factor. I do think there will be a "mini" version for smaller rooms / folks more price conscious.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2014
There is no way you'd release a product like this every year and piss off the customer base who's home speaker is now outdated. It's far different than a smart phone.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
There is no way you'd release a product like this every year and piss off the customer base who's home speaker is now outdated. It's far different than a smart phone.
That’s what everyone said when they released a watch...

Reactions: T5BRICK

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
They do it with all their products and its unlikely this will be an exception. The thing with Apple though is all updates are incremental. A version 2 will likely have something neat but nothing that will upset a version 1 owner. I've never been "blow away" by the next version of a product without there being a 3+ years between releases.

If a V2 is sold right next to a V1 it can even fuel V1 sales since many people sitting on the fence won't see the value in V2 making V1 price seem more reasonable. This leaves an option for people that want the latest and greatest too.

Now I'm not saying thats definitely the case because it will be more difficult than an iPhone and Watch but there is always room for new features and better sound. Consider, the HomePod sounds great especially for its size but its not the pinnacle of what is possible.

sub150

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
I can't believe this product doesn't support Bluetooth. I need a speaker for my home office and would love to have a HomePod with my work PC.

sub150

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
It’s an Apple product for other Apple products.

That being said, it does have Bluetooth 5.
I wasn't aware of that. Interesting. Well it hasn't received a significant software update since Airplay 2 so doubt anything is being developed.

sub150

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2018
That's interesting, however a killer detail is here.

"The only downside to Airfoil is that it can’t solve the AirPlay latency that is also present when streaming from a Mac to a HomePod. There is a noticeable 2-3 second delay between when the audio is output from your PC and when it is heard on the HomePod."

Being that I plan on using this primarily for VoIP calls through Skype, that would be a deal breaker. Maybe worth a shot though.

The other option is just to take all audio through my iPhone but the Skype for Business app is a little weird sometimes relaying PSTN calls to the phone and going through meetings via Webex it's just easier to use the PC connection. Unfortunately, dealing with external vendors means I use a mix of Skype, Webex, and Zoom to connect and I usually need screen share which means you have to deal with a Video on PC/Audio through Phone solution which can be messy.

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Got 2 homepods. Pretty happy with them. I'm not sure what they'd do with a v2, it does the job just fine.

CPU speed increases and RAM upgrades are irrelevant; and i'm not sure there's been any magical advance in speaker or microphone tech in the past 2 years...

StumpyBloke

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2012
England
Got 2 homepods. Pretty happy with them. I'm not sure what they'd do with a v2, it does the job just fine.

CPU speed increases and RAM upgrades are irrelevant; and i'm not sure there's been any magical advance in speaker or microphone tech in the past 2 years...
I agree. The only reason they would release a new model would be if it was a cheaper version IMO.

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
AppleTV is on a 3 year cycle. Like the AppleTV, HomePod's hardware doesn't need to be updated regularly. The HomePod's is more than perfect. Best sound in its size class, sensitive beam forming microphones that can pick up normal volume speech from across the room under playing music and a CPU with power to spare. There is plenty of room to grow in software in the same way as the AppleTV.

I think it's more likely that we'll see all of the Beats lineup adopt AirPlay 2 and probably Siri. You'll be able to get a Beats Pill for smaller rooms and to take outside.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Eventually the cost of the resources, namely the A8 SoC will be too high to justify its implementation and require a product refresh or discontinuation.

Presumably they are working off of stock. Firing the fabs back up for A8 production which is a more costly 20nm process won't be worth it. However using a more modern SoC will if the product is still relevant. But to sell such a product it will need to have enhanced features and functions.