Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sallylynn812

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
So it says my user folder is ~192GB. My pictures are 65.8GB and Movies are 6GB. I have another folder that's less than 600MB and my Library folder is 3-400 MB. Everything else is empty or really small.

What's taking up all that room and why can't I find it? It doesn't seem to add up.

sallylynn812

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
ok, this is interesting. If I'm in the folder itself and get info it says 79GB or whatever, but if I'm in the user folder (the containing folder) and get info for it it says 192...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
ok, this is interesting. If I'm in the folder itself and get info it says 79GB or whatever, but if I'm in the user folder (the containing folder) and get info for it it says 192...
Did you look in other users folders, or in the shared folder?

sallylynn812

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
Disk Inventory X or Grand Perspective will show you how space is being used on your drive.

Used Disk Inventory - Thank you very much - and there is something I still don't get.

I could have sworn I had emptied my trash, but apparently that was taking up a bit of space and is now actually empty. My Mac HD had said 280 free, now 400+/~499 is free. About 92 GB is used on my HD most of which is obviously my pictures and movies.
Still, when I'm in my users folder and get info on my username folder it says 192gb, but everywhere else, Disk inventory, in the folder itself under info, it's only 70 something...
I don't get it. Obviously it doesn't matter - I'm happy to have so many more GB free on the HD, but it's bugging me now that it's giving the wrong info...

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
[Edit: Ninja'd - sounds like it was stuff in your trash, which would have shown up in the du command below as ".Trash". One possible cause for things showing as bigger than they should in the Finder after deleting stuff is that it hasn't updated its cached file info yet--logging out and back in might fix that. Try it before you go chasing phantom files.]

If I'm in the folder itself and get info it says 79GB
You're saying that if you do a select-all when inside your user folder and hit command-option-i, to get the multiple-item Info window, it says 79GB?

In which case, whatever is taking up the phantom space is a file that's not visible in the Finder; probably a .something directory that isn't shown by the Finder.

The easiest way to do a check is one of the apps that GGJstudios recommended.

If you want to try the terminal, you can open a terminal window (which should default to your user directory), and type "sudo du -sh *", type in your password, and see if that matches what you're seeing in the Finder. If so, try "sudo du -sh \.*" which should show all the .something directories; see if any of those are huge, and if so, which one.

Last edited:

sallylynn812

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
In HD clicking on "Users" and get info said 70 something. Go in users and click on "myname" said 192. going in myname and getting info on myname from the inside said 70 something.

BUT, i just did it again and it said 192, and I clicked on it (which obviously does nothing) and it changed to the correct number.... don't know what that does but it's fixed I guess. Just weird....

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
BUT, i just did it again and it said 192, and I clicked on it (which obviously does nothing) and it changed to the correct number.... don't know what that does but it's fixed I guess. Just weird....
The Finder caches info on file sizes so it doesn't need to recalculate every time you do a get info, and the updating of these can lag by a bit sometimes. What you saw was an artifact of this lag (see my addendum above), but you can log out and back in to force an update if you really want, plus there are other methods aside from just waiting, one of which I guess you stumbled on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.