What's Taking up all the space?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by that1guyy, Feb 16, 2014.

1. that1guyy macrumors 6502

I installed bootcamp for a few games. I allocated 50GB for Windows 7. I figured it would be maybe 15-20gb for the operating system and maybe 5gb for other random files that leaves me maybe 25gb for games. I don't game too much but having a few windows only games is all I wanted.

I install Windows with boot camp and only have 8GB left. I installed one game, which was only supposed to be like 2.x gb, and now I only have 2.2GB in the partition left!

I ran disk cleanup but very little was deleted. Where is all the space going and what do I do? Also, how would I increase the partition if necessary?

2. IA64 macrumors 6502

First of all, what's your system specs ?

Say you got 16GB of RAM, in such situation, Windows will allocate more than 24GB of disk space for swapping.

You can set the SWAP file size manually to 4GB which is enough for an 8GB of RAM if you're not willing to overload the system or 1GB if you have 16GB of RAM.

Another thing to consider:

IF hibernation is enabled, the file size will be equal to the amount of RAM installed on your machine.

To disable it :

Open a command prompt: Windows + R.
    Type "cmd" and press enter.
    Enter one of the following commands:

-powercfg /hibernate off or powercfg /H off
    -powercfg /hibernate on or powercfg /H on

3. that1guyy thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, thanks for the reply

My specs are:
    MBP 15inch
    16GB RAM
    512gb ssd
    750gm + iris pro

So I should change the SWAP file to 1GB and turn off hibernation? Are there any adverse effects of doing this? I don't want to disable anything I might need or that might cause problems if I don't have it. I mainly use the windows for games or occasional spreadsheet so will doing this cause any issues?

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

For the usage you describe, reducing the swap file and turning off hibernation will have no adverse affect. If you do find that you want to use hibernate, the tweak to re-enable it was posted above.

5. Caulin macrumors newbie

what does hibernate have to do with using a bunch of space?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The OP has 16GB of RAM. The Windows hibernate file will take that much space from the hard drive, by default. Also, the swap file will take up a similar amount of space. Disabling hibernate would retrieve that space. Search out for other tweaks to save space on a typical Windows system (if such a thing exists :D )

7. that1guyy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. I have disabled the hibernate file and now have some more space!

So what is the swap file and how do I changer the size? Since I have 16GB RAM what should I set the size of the swap file to?

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I set mine to 0, never had an issue so far with as little as 8GB of ram

9. IA64 macrumors 6502

Although you might not have any issue, it's not recommended to set it to 0.

Put anything between 100-200MB, you should need that in case of application crash or dump file generation.

10. jenzjen macrumors 68000

We're all on the same slippery slope since it is actually not recommended to change it at all, maybe the extra 1-200 buys you sufficient crash avoidance runway

11. Caulin macrumors newbie

I also have 16gb of ram and am running windows using bootcamp. I will have to check this out and change everything.

12. Caulin macrumors newbie

I tried turning hibernate off and also tried changing the swap size. However, after checking the size of my C: drive both made the size go up? Why would both of these cause more space to be filled

13. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Did you run cmd as an admin, and did you restart the machine after making both changes? These 2 changes should absolutely not make your usage increase.

14. IA64 macrumors 6502

Mmmm... no offence but are you sure you're reading the used space not the free one ? ^^

15. Caulin macrumors newbie

I did not restart after the changes :roll eyes: . and no offense taken! I'm not the best with computers but i know more than the average joe, i think. How are you supposed to know my skill level behind a screen! Im sure i was looking at used space not free, I will try again and reboot! Thanks!