What's taking up all the space?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heyyitssusan, Mar 13, 2016.

1. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 9.23.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 9.24.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 9.24.29 PM.png So, 77GB of apps, but these are the only apps I have installed on my Mac. Most of them are stock.. so how is it taking up so much space?

2. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

77GB doesn't seem like that much. Also included in that number is probably OS X itself. Mine is about 200GB.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Those numbers don't add up. In the top right it says 461 of 498 GB free. That measure shows you've only used 37GB.

4. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

Right, that's what I thought was strange. So do you think the only option is to do a restore? I have deleted a few apps but it didn't make a difference.

5. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Sounds like some allocated space has not been properly de-allocated. Do you have any big files in your trashcan? Not sure how those would be considered/calculated by OSX, but you could empty it just to be sure. Next I would run the filesystem integrity and permission rights validation from Diskutil before doing a complete re-install.

6. 3568358, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016

3568358 macrumors 6502

NO! Do NOT restore! The problem is fixable with must a few minutes of work!

The amount of space used in total is less than the amount it says that applications takes up.You need to re-index the hard drive to fix this. This is a common issue and can be fixed easily!

To fix this
    Open system preferences
    Select 'spotlight'
    Select 'privacy'
    Click the little plus button then select the physical hard drive (Macintosh HD).
    It will say something like 'are you sure blah blah' and click the yes button or what ever it is.
    Once it is added to the list, select the little minus sign to remove it.

Your computer will now re-index your hard drive automatically, and after an hour or two it will finish. When finished the numbers will add up correctly, and show you the real amount of space taken up by each category.

You can use your computer normally while it re-indexes. Again, it will take about an hour for the computer to fish re-indexing, and then it will show the correct numbers.

If you watch the window that shows how much data you used and in which categories, I think it will update in real time, but not entirely sure on this fact.

I've done re-indexed about 3 times in the past year or so, and it is the actual process that Apple will tell you to do to fix the issue! :)

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

8. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks so much guys!! Going to give it a try when I get home from work today. I'm glad it's a simple fix and nothing too major!

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Hopefully the apps you deleted weren't any of the "stock" apps.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Yup. OP, make sure you do a backup before you do anything.

11. 3568358 macrumors 6502

stock apps are required by the operating system and cant be deleted

12. heyyitssusan thread starter macrumors 65816

Correct. I deleted a few apps I downloaded from the app store. The only "big app" I have is iMovie at 2.4GB.

13. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

what's the code you can run that clears ups (index?) what space is actually being used? Would that potentially help?

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you are referring to this Terminal command that reindexes Spotlight. But that gets you the same end result as the Spotlight reindex procedure iA724 posted above. You are just doing it through Terminal as opposed to the GUI.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /

15. 3568358 macrumors 6502

Didn't even know you could do it through terminal, although my way is easier to remember, and is the way Apple will tell you to do it :p

16. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If you want to see what's consuming your space, download the free app called "DiskWave":
    https://diskwave.barthe.ph

Then, just launch it, and you'll see what to do next.

TIP: Set the prefs so that it shows you "invisible" as well as visible files.

17. jamese1 macrumors newbie

I have had this problem before and the best thing I can say do to try is restart your Mac, if that does not work then out comes the time machine and a fresh install of El caputan 10.11.3

18. jamese1 macrumors newbie

19. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Could you tell us -what- "the problem" actually was ....?