Whats te deal with the "MC" in 3gs?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Lamarak, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Lamarak macrumors 6502

I look at my local area to jailbreak and unlock my phone but they say they cant do any 3gs that has MC in the model number. Does that mean that this phone never can be jailbroke or unlocked? Sorry if question seems dumb, but I have never messed with this before and had a spare 3gs and was trying to see if could put mifi or what ever its called to put out a wifi hotspot to use with my ipad. I currently have the iphone 4 for my main phone but do have a family plan with two lines open.

2. celticpride678

The "MC" represents a newer model of the device. However, the Dev Team is working on a jailbreak for these models.

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

False... "MC" has no bearing on whether a 3GS can be unlocked or not.
    Not all "MC" models have the new bootrom.

I have a release day 3GS that has an "MC135LL" model number and the old bootrom.

All 3GS models can be jailbroken.

4. Timbalan macrumors newbie

The guy saying he cant do MC models, almost certainly means he cant do New-Bootrom 3GSs the MC is not the right way to determine bootrom for the 3GS.

That being said if you have the new bootrom than you have to wait on a ios4 jailbreak. But you can jailbreak 3.1.3 with spirit.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

also a guy that say's he can't do MC models really doesn't know what the hell he is doing just, saying! for the $10 or $20 he should be charging find somebody else Craigslist, is full of them!

6. gtpsrock macrumors newbie

True. I was bummed that I had an MC model (bought new Aug '09), but then after following this guide (post #4), I found out it was the old bootrom. Jailbroke it and works great! Yes!

7. r.steve macrumors newbie

I have MC model with the new bootrom. I can not do anything and it stuck in activation page (I received it from AT&T user). Actually I can pass the activation by inserting that sim card or "yes sim". However, without JB, I can only find my 3GS as the super expensive iPod.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed, find someone else !