What's that click noise when waking or turning on?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dissolve, Sep 23, 2010.

1. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Just a simple question of curiosity: what makes that click / snap noise when you turn on or wake up the MP? Always thought it was the power supply, but not so sure. Thanks :)

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Pretty sure it is the power supply. My G5 does it too...

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Nope. It's the optical drive.

4. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Are you sure? I've heard it when booting an ODD-free system...I thought it was something related to capacitors in the PSU.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Care to bring in some proof?

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

On Mac notebooks definitely, but it's not really a click like the OP is describing on their Mac pro.

7. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Ive often wondered what it is on mine. Sounds like a relay switch clicking. Like indicators in a car.

8. Vylen macrumors 65816

It's the reality distortion field activating - making you want to buy more Apple products...

Aside from that, I'm not sure... I don't think I've heard a click when turning on my Mac Pro... Doesn't help that I don't turn mine on that often (read: I keep it on, unless rebooting).

9. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

10+

No sound from my MBP's when turning ON or waking from sleep.

cheers to the longs
    JohnG

10. Gloor macrumors 6502a

I think its the fans that are on the graphic card or just fans in general.

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I'm pretty sure it's a relay in the power supply.

You also hear a softer click when powering the machine down (right when the power LED turns off and the machine is "truly" powered down).

08 MP Octo

12. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Yes, I can confirm it's not the optical drive (took them out and it still makes that sound)
    btw, does anyone's PSU make a buzzing sound?

13. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I recall mine doing this upon shut down (and when pulling the power cable out of the back of the unit) and clicks when waking from sleep.
    I always noticed it came from the rear of the machine in the PSU.

Something when they changed PSU suppliers apparently;
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=571298

my 2006 MP didnt make the noise, but my 2008 MP did.

14. dissolve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha still trying to figure that one out too? :p

I agree it sounds like some switch in the PSU. I know what noise some of you were talking about in the notebooks, but it's not that. And I also hear it when shutting down or putting it to sleep. It's gotta be related to the PSU as it definitely doesn't sound like a fan. I read someone else suggested it was the HDD heads moving into place, but I don't think that would be this loud.

15. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

yeah.. just received my replacement and it also does the buzzing sound. must be normal ?? :confused: I even added an APC Line R power conditioner to the mix to make sure it's not my power line, but the power supply still buzzes on :(

16. dissolve thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was going to do the exact same thing, sorry to hear it didn't solve the issue. So did Apple recognize it as a problem and give you a new PSU?

17. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

no, they just said the buzzing wasn't normal and I asked for a replacement. I don't know what to do now.. the replacement also has some weird problem where some graphics have snowy distortions (like stuck pixels that go away after moving the window ?!)

What should I do? Ask for another relacement or get a refund?!

18. dissolve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow that's terrible, sorry to hear that. I'd try for another replacement if possible. I just called as well and they confirmed the buzzing is definitely not normal. Now I've got to figure out the easiest way to get this monster to an Apple Store. How long did they have yours for to do the repair?

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, it's a relay. ;)

20. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

they didn't repair mine, they just plain exchanged it with a new one. took about a week to get the new one.

21. sumkinduvmalice macrumors newbie

im pretty sure its the hard drive turning on, my friend has same MBP as me with SSD and it doesn't do the clicking. Also, when walking its because the hard drives used with MBP have a fail safe that stops non SSD HD's from spinning, incase of a fall, preventing possible HD crashes.

22. dissolve thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's strange, it seems like a part they could easily swap out. I think I'll be taking mine in this weekend. We'll see what they do...

23. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

It's not :p

It's a relay in the PSU.

Besides, a nice click in my opinion make it seem made properly :p

24. Xeocon macrumors member

09 Mac Pro here, I also get the clicking noise when starting up or waking up from sleep. Is it normal for the PSU to do that? I also get the buzzing noise. I notice it most when I am scrolling pages in Firefox. Rang Apple about it when I first got my computer (6 months ago) and they said it was normal. Did some research on it and apparently noise from the power supply is quite normal and varies from brand to brand.

25. dissolve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which noise are you referring to that's normal? It seems that the clicking is completely normal on at least newer Mac Pros. Some of us, including myself, have that buzzing noise but it does not seem universal. It'd be very interesting if you've been told the buzzing was normal.