What's That In The Way?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Stephen A, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Stephen A macrumors newbie

There seems to be some sort of tab in the way of my CD Drive on my iBook G4. I've managed to push it down with a credit card, however it pops back up again.

I rammed (yes, rammed) a CD in to see if the drive still did anything, but it seems to ignore the CD entirely - doesn't read, doesn't eject. I imagine that CD is now a permanent fixture in my iBook now...

Unless you guys know what's wrong, or how to fix it?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why?! (seriously, why?!) I'd suspect that that CD is indeed a permanent feature of your iBook now.

3. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I would not have tried "ramming" a CD in the drive as a solution. It sounds like you're probably stuck now.

4. Stephen A thread starter macrumors newbie

I really believe I was stuck to begin with. If need be... I can retrieve the CD. But the more important thing is - what the Hell is in the way, that mysterious "tab", and is my Drive (prior to ramming) fudged?

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Genius Bar.

Is the tab top or bottom...pics?

Could be the casing clips.

6. Stephen A thread starter macrumors newbie

Bottom, can't get a picture or even see it on account of the fabric preventing dust and such from getting into the drive.

It pops back up once it's pushed down - so I assume it's some sort of sping operated thing, intended to be there... just not always up. Tell me I'm not the first to encounter this problem?

7. Stephen A thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'm SOL, and it's time for a new optical drive?

Seems a local shop tells me they can't order individual parts from Apple, especially without returning the faulty one. *shrug*. I guess that means it's ebay-ahoy?