What's the AT&T upgrade process like?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patrickowtf, May 21, 2012.

1. patrickowtf macrumors member

Hello!

I have an iPhone 4 and it was the first iPhone I had. I'm thinking about upgrading to the new phone when it comes out. I'm on AT&T and I was wondering how that works?

How painless is the upgrade process? Do I have to pay the full price of the phone? If so then I should probably start saving now!

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

You should search past threads about upgrade, all your answers would be there. It's a pretty painless process, if you're upgrade elligable, you pay the upgrade price, not full price.

Like I said try searching, it's well discussed.

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

Dial *639# and than hit call/talk. That will give u a text from AT&T to determine your full upgrade date.

Usually you are eligible within 18-21 months for full upgrade from the last time your upgraded.

AT&T website says 20 months.

So if you brought iPhone 4 in Jan 2011. Your next eligibility upgrade date would fall 18-21 months from Jan 2011.

Also keep in mind if you pay your telephone bill late. Than AT&T may reserve the right to push back your eligibility date also.

Also there is an added $36 upgrade fee also.

4. patrickowtf thread starter macrumors member

And if I am eligible for an upgrade, the price of the phone is discounted?

5. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Depends when you got the iPhone 4. Are you still under contract? If not, you can upgrade to a fully subsidized iPhone when it comes out. And yes, it is a simple process.

6. patrickowtf thread starter macrumors member

yup! i'm still under contract and i'm eligible for an upgrade.

so when the new phone comes out i can just stroll on into the apple store and upgrade to the new phone

i know this is speculation right now, but how much do you think the upgrade will cost for the new iphone?

7. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I would be surprised if they are more than $199 for 16gb with contract extension.

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

AT&T makes the upgrade process very simple. Just log into their website with your user info as you normally would. Find the upgrade section, click it and there will be your edibility status. If eligible, you simply wait until you find out when the new model will go live on the site and place your order.

I pre-ordered mine when the 4S had gone live on the site, the entire process took just 8 minutes, and I had the phone at 10am, the morning it was released in the stores.

No standing in line, no delays, just take it out of the box, activate it (less than 2 minutes, fully automated) and it was ready to use. Grabbed my apps and misc off of iTunes and was out the door in just under 45 minutes.

It could not be easier.

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Radio had/has the iPhone 4S for $150 on contract brand new last week. Not sure how long promo runs.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I you decide to go to the Apple store, be prepared to spend a lot of time. It's quite busy and some people find they are out of phones by the time they arrive at the counter.

If you do it online via AT&T, there's no wait, there's no problem since they are the carrier. If there is any carrier related questions and you're at the Apple store you're out of luck until you get those issues sorted out.

I buy _everything_ but my iPhone directly from Apple. All my Macs, and related gear.

Too many of my friends have waited in line only to have a bad experience when going to an Apple store for a newly released phone. It's not Apple's fault either.

It's all the people that arrive unprepared, have carrier issues they have not sorted out, and ask a bunch of questions they could have looked up online but were too lazy to. Therefore the process is delayed due to uninformed customers wasting the time of the sales people in the store.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Did you READ the contract you're under? It will clearly tell you what your options are. If you're not from the past and have ever used the internet before this should be pretty easy to figure out in less time than it takes for people here to tell you.

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

ATT upgrade goes pretty well most of the time.

If you are eligible, it will be discounted. You can an get a good idea of current pricing by going onine and selecting the "4S". Nobody knows for sure, but it would be a reasonable guess that the next phone would have similar pricing.

14. patrickowtf thread starter macrumors member

Rude.

Yeah, this is the kind of response I was looking for. That's very promising. It looks like I will just pre-order it from AT&T's site.

What do you guys do with your old iPhones?

15. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'll bet you're great with children: "daddy can you show me how to tie my shoe?". "Go figure it out for yourself and quit bothering me you little brat!".