What's the best 1TB external hard drive out there?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joejoejoe, Nov 19, 2008.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Please help me choose the best one. I need something to back up my files as I only have 7 gigs remaining on my MBP. I need it to be fast because I'll be working primarily with video/editing and playing.

At the same time I don't want to shell out $300 or anything.

The only external 1TB they have here at USC is the LaCie designed by Neil whoever, looks pretty but the specs seemed pretty slow (480mb/s) at $120.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

3. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

4. BrittQ macrumors regular

Want fast? Ever think about using eSATA connection?

5. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

on a MBP?

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yeah. Just get an eSATA card for the MBP and off you go.

7. melissaur macrumors newbie

melissaur

That lacie drive by neil whoever also comes in a version with usb, fw400, and esata.

I just purchased it from amazon.com for $147.99 including 2-day shipping (join their prime 30-day trial and it's free--overnight for $3.99).

Not the BEST considering there isn't fw800, but esata blows it out of the water if you have the connectivity, and the price...welllllll try and beat it!:rolleyes:

8. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I have a LaCie that's 320GB & I really like it (not slow for me because it uses either FW or USB 2), so for 1TB I'd consider that or the Time Capsule. I know you said you didn't want to spend that much, but it does Time Machine wirelessly and provides you with a WiFi network wherever you are. (it is pretty portable) So either that or a LaCie.

9. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

The WD´s with Firewire 800 are great.
    We have 2T, 1T and 500s and they all work great.
    The 500 I used to bring everywhere when traveling

10. howardnow macrumors member

The LaCie D2 Extreme has Firewire 800, 400, eSata and USB 2. It's $229 for 1 TB storage. Nice strong al case.

11. Semiopaque macrumors regular

I'd go with Samsung 7200 1TB and as others mentioned put it in an enclosure. This is a solid drive from my experience, quick and quiet.

As for the enclosure been eyeing this lately myself but haven't needed the FW just yet. May get one eventually: Rosewill RX81-MP-SC- SLV Reviews look pretty good on it.

The macally one linked earlier is nice too, I have one of the ones with just the USB and esata.

12. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I bought this enclosure with two of these drives. Used Disk Utility to set it up as a mirrored disk set (RAID1). Works like a charm. The RAID information is written to the disks themselves. That means they're recognized as a single drive on any computer you use and not just the one you set it up on.

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I have 4 My Book Studios (1 TB) and they are great. I don't have a circus of power supplies to maintain for each drive enclosure, the drive is quiet and fast, and the drive is small and supports eSATA, FW800/400, USB.

I use FW800 most of the time but I figure if that standard ever dies then eSATA is a good replacement. I only use USB when I am forced to use it.

14. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

+1 for Western Digital

I have a 1TB WD essential edition nearing capacity, its USB2.0 only though, i want a FW WD MyBook 1TB next

15. mpshay macrumors 6502

I have that enclosure with 2 x 1 TB drives set up in RAID 0. Plenty fast to stream media to multiple devices at the same time

16. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Nice! Don't you just love the enclosure? It's extremely good looking, and also very rugged. It just feels really sturdy. I like it a lot!

17. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I was eyeing that drive back when I was in the process of deciding which drives (I needed two) to get. Maybe Samsung fixed the drives and solved the problems many people had back then, but I figured it's better to be safe than sorry, and went for two of these drives.