What's the best Acrobat (not "Reader") substitute on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by genome2k, Aug 4, 2011.

1. genome2k macrumors member

Hi guys. what is the best Acrobat substitute on Mac? (the "Acrobat" not the "Acrobat Reader")

I am not saying Acrobat is not good but it's just too expensive, and another important reason is it's too complicated for me. But the Preview with OSX is too weak. Now these are my needs so maybe you guys could give me some advice to check out: rolleyes:

I. PDF Reading and Annotation
    1. Reading (of course), search function for text objects
    2. Annotations: Highlights, Underlines, Text strikethrough (adjustable colors), Sticky Note (comment tool)
    3. Basic drawings tools similar to Acrobat: Arrow, Straight Line, Rectangles, Ovals, Pencil,

II. PDF File Manipulation
    1. Selection and Copy of PDF text
    2. Selection and Copy of PDF image objects
    3. Rotation, Cropping, Resizing of pages inside of a PDF
    4. Editing and Creating Bookmarks
    5. Deleting, insertion of pages

III. Creating PDF
    1. Creating PDF from a scanner like Acrobat does
    2. Optimizing PDF (With Acrobat you can do a simple "Save As..." and the document is optimized to minimal file size).

Over things:

Supporting WACOM tablets.

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

3. genome2k thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot cuestakid! I checked the link and it does look like the one i'm looking for?

Btw, do you happen to know any PDF password remover app? Well i'm not trying to pirate any copyrighted documents. But I just want to make highlights and underlines while I read -- and a password protected PDF files won't allow such operations.

4. blipmusic macrumors regular

I'd say Skim. [EDIT: Bah, scratch that. Evidently I can't read, sorry. Still, Skim is a nice PDF viewer with annotation possibilites and more.]