What's the best adblock for new Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chfilm, Sep 18, 2018.

1. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Titel says it all - since adblock plus doesnt work in it's old form anymore with the new safari - what's the best new alternative?

2. chfilm thread starter macrumors 68000

chfilm

3. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Well since it is the same adblock from same developer, then it is developers fault.

I am personally using uBlock Origin. It works, not officially supported, but it works.

I know devs are already working on making their stuff compatible with Safari 12. The thing is that it shouldn't have took them this long, Safari Technology Preview foretold this is gonna happen since quite some time now, but, well...I am the last one who can judge.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm using Ka-Block! and have been happy with it. I've seen posts from others using Wipr.

5. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Yep, one of them would be me. Wipr works absolutely flawlessly for me, both macOS and iOS versions. Been using for years.

6. chfilm thread starter macrumors 68000

chfilm

7. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

That’s the one I’ve been thinking about using, good to hear it’s working for you.

8. mcaswell macrumors regular

My need for an ad blocker is very limited... I don't want to block all ads, I merely want to stop Yahoo from showing me those annoyingly salacious headlines of "sponsored" articles mixed in with legitimate ones. With a little configuration, AdBlockPlus did a great job at this. But now it no longer works for me (in addition to the slowdown warning, I get some kind of JSON array error message).

Tried the newer version of AdBlockPlus, but it does not seem to have the configurability to block the Yahoo sponsored articles, nor does Ka-Block.

9. eRondeau macrumors 65816

eRondeau

+1 for Wipr. I love how easy it is to temporarily disable it for websites that refuse to work with ad blockers.

10. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Ad Block Plus was just updated last night and can be downloaded for free from the Mac App Store. I use that and Ka Block which was recommended. Also note that Safari 12 Preferences, "Websites" has many new options which also includes "Content Blockers".

11. mic j macrumors 68030

Does wipr work with the new Safari update? Just downloaded Wipr but still on the older version of Safari. Haven't downloaded the newer version because I couldn't figure out how it would impact my Adblock.

12. heelsbigc macrumors member

Downloaded wipr tonight and its working great on the new safari.

13. LiterallySimon macrumors member

I recommend https://better.fyi . It's better ;)

14. javisan macrumors regular

I installed the WIPR safari extension for free directly through the safari extension website. So far, so good. However, I see that WIPR has a separate app for $2 on the Mac App Store. What is the difference between the extension I installed for free and the $2 app on the Mac App Store?

15. home405a macrumors newbie

16. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

I will only trust uBlock Origin, when it comes to security I only trust open source community driven services/apps.

In the same time its a bit rude to demand free app developers to release the apps or upgrades. I think we can hit a sweet point where if everyuser donates like just $1 they will easily make up $20m and can forever work on these products exclusively.

There are a lot of great free apps like HandBrake, Linux distros, LibreOffice...etc . If we can donate a little the app/service can be free for all. My best example of this is ProtonMail which due to donations+paid subscribers they offer FREE encrypted email hosting+VPN service.

17. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Proton VPN is insane. That much stability and speed for free is surreal. Granted, you have only three countries to choose from, but any complaining about that is rude.

18. Feek macrumors regular

Feek

• What’s the Difference Between the Mac App Store Version and the Old Extension Gallery Version?
    The Mac App Store version restores tracker blocking, is able to refresh even if Safari is closed, is supported, and looks/feels nicer!

In other words, this version is pretty much identical to the iOS version.

source

19. ravinder08 macrumors 6502

20. TokMok3 macrumors 6502

Does it block ads on Youtube?

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... I think you will find none of the newer content blocker style adblockers will block those ads because of the way they are run.

22. sosumi99 macrumors 6502

sosumi99

Can someone give me a quick explanation of what's changed in the way content blockers work on Safari? I'm on uBlock Origin, and Safari gives me a warning about how it may slow down my browsing. Which of the recommended options here does not have this problem?

23. upandown macrumors 6502

You mean to tell me you've got word that the safari fork version of ublock origin is working on a new version???

That would make me so happy
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2018 ---
    It's just a warning flag. The extensions work just as well as in HS. Apple is trying to encourage adoption of their API.

24. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Then what is this that I am using right here, huh??? Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 9.42.04 PM.png